A Conversation for Guernsey, Channel Islands, UK

Alderney

Post 1

Dudemeister

We used to go often to Guernsey in the 70s when I was a kid. I thought it was great - They have good weather, beaches, fishing, sports events, interesting history and culture, and a castle that is fascinating, especially I suppose for schoolboys, as are the old fortifications from the occupation.

One trip we made it to Alderney instead. If it is still much as it was, I think it is well worth a visit unless you are looking for an all-night rave, shopping centres or something like the Louvre or the Tate gallery. It is/was very unspoiled - and small enough to walk everywhere if you want. Fishing was great and it is a place one can appreciate some quiet.

It is/was also plastered with fortifications from the occupation. This was very interesting for me at the time (being a schoolboy) - Quite a thrill to explore old buildings and rusted gun emplacements, still with the graffiti and signage left intact. Probably quite dangerous too - so it would not suprise me if it is all covered up now like on Guernsey.

They had a small museum that explained a bit of the history - including the hardships of the occupation. It was made public about a year after that visit that Alderney had during the war many prisoners brought over to suffer forced labour and worked to death. Quite a horrible thought - something you wouldn't think of today. That in mind, there is a significant place in recent history if not partly a morbid one from the last occupation. For people interested in WWII history the island was made into a huge fortress and it's there if you want to see what they looked like and get an idea how they worked.

Besides that it is a beautiful island and a good place to relax, especially if you enjoy the sea and doing stuff in it.

If you get bored you can always hop on over to Guernsey.




Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more