A Conversation for The Perfect Picnic

Picknick locations

Post 1

Dr Hell

One of the often underestimated things about picknicking is the choice of the location. Here a little survey of my own (other suggestions and comments very welcome):

1. Parks

pros: One can buy ice-cream and soft-drinks /in loco/ (just in case one forgot, didn't bring enough or want to have it cold). Parks are usually easily accessible by public transportation (e.g. Hyde park in London, Central Park NY or the Englischer Garten, Munich</LINK&gtsmiley - winkeye. Easy to find by other people in case someone wants to meet there. Parks have (usually) sufficient wastebins to get rid of the detritus. Also there is the questionable comfort of public toilets and mowed grass. Extra people to play frisbee or volleyball.

cons: Parks tend to be crowded in the weekends, so sometimes that may be a nuisance. Parks are not too far away, for that reason it is sometimes difficult to completely switch off.

assorted: Parks are ideal for spontaneous picknicks. The weather stability is not decisive.

2. Outdoors / Mountains / Forests

pros: The relax-factor can easily reach 100% (fresh air and perfect landscape). It is more exciting than picknicking in the park, you have a tighter bond to the surrounding nature. No crowds.

cons: Perfect organization required: How to get there, not to forget anything. Nature is beutiful but for the one preparing the picknick ground it is sometimes a hindrance (insects, stones, high grass). Special cares: Waste, WC, injuries...

assorted: Outdoors require long term planning and stable weather. They are ideal when combined with hiking.

3. Gardens / Rooftops / Playgrounds

...unusual.. but hey, why not?

pros: Very spontaneous, require almost no preparation. Many people live or work near a picknick place and don't even realize. Ideal pretext to take the kids out in the afternoon.

cons: Low relax-factor, not too much nature

assorted: Ideal for instantaneous short picknicks.

-----------

Some more?


Location, location, location

Post 2

Demon Drawer

OK location can be the most important aspect of any picnic.

The weather is not important. In fact some of the most romantic picnics I've been on have been on the most miserable days but at least you have the location to yourself. So it adds to the romance of the occasion.

The person you are with also makes for a great picnic. In fact so much so that the best location for any picnic is sat beside the one you love even if it is in a traffic jam on the M25, eating stale sandwiches which contain melting cheese and drinking warm, flat coke.

However for a really good lcation try one of the following.

1) Regent's Park before taking in one of the plays at the Open Air Theatre in the Summer.

2) Linlithgow Palace, West Lothian, Scotland really beautiful lakeside with gorgeous view of one of Scotland's most historic Palaces.

3) The Grand Harbour, Valetta, Malta, savour the history of one of Europes most historic and sought after (often in battle) locations.

4) Anywhere in Paris, need I say more.

5) Richmond Park, London the one place in London you can almost get away from all the traffic noise.

6) Any sandy beach and hear the waves lap on the shore.

7) Under an umbrella with the one you love, location is irrelevant as the rain patters off the brolly.

8) In you own front room, with the windows open on a warm summer's evening. With candlelight, wine and chilled strawberries and icecream for afterwards. Beats them being squashed and melted, and adds to the intimacy and saves the washing up.

9) In a vain determination to make a top 10. The Teirgarten in Berlin, a short stroll to the Zoo, or the Brandenburg gate to walk off the excess after indulging.

10) In the offices of the italics, cream buns are preferable for dessert.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more