A Conversation for Steam Engine Wheel Arrangements

Steam Engine Wheel Arrangements

Post 1

Enginear

This is an informative article, particularly (as it notes) from the British perspective, but is plagued with typos.

Only one typo changes the sense: in the 2nd lat para of "Four coupled" there is a bolded reference to "the 4-2-2 'Atlantic'". The Atlantics are of course 4-4-2...otherwise they would not be mentioned in the 4-coupled section (and nor would they have been so useful)!

There are a number of other minor misprints; in most cases it is clear what is meant -- a letter, or a whole word, has been omitted. There is a particular concentration of typos in the para commencing "In 1928 Charles Collett.." in the "Six coupled engines" section.


Steam Engine Wheel Arrangements

Post 2

Andrew-k

The first sentence of this article contains an error which is becoming ever more common in the media when it refers to "every steam train...". The correct term in this context is engine or locomotive; "train" comprises the locomotive and the vehicles which it is pulling.


Steam Engine Wheel Arrangements

Post 3

The H2G2 Editors

Thanks for your comments. We'll endeavour to work through those errors now. smiley - ok


Steam Engine Wheel Arrangements

Post 4

The H2G2 Editors

And we see that you're both new arrivals - glad to have you with us!


Steam Engine Wheel Arrangements

Post 5

noelist

please put my post in this conversation as I've started a new conversation in error, with the same title.


Steam Engine Wheel Arrangements

Post 6

The H2G2 Editors

Hi noelist, in fact you did put your post in the correct place! You just started your own conversation underneath the entry - perfectly valid - and the author, the_jon_m, has responded to you there. smiley - ok


Steam Engine Wheel Arrangements

Post 7

Vip

I was wondering if any of you train enthusiasts would like to cast your eyes over another railway Entry that is being reviewed at the moment? You seem very knowledgeble about the subject so your input would be well received.

The thread is here:F48874?thread=7358874&latest=1

The Entry in question is in a link at the top. Please post all comments to the thread so that the author can take your comments under consideration.

Thanks!

smiley - fairy


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more