A Conversation for Cabbage Patch Kids

Bizarre question

Post 1

Oom Foofoo

Okay this is going to sound very odd but I was once told that if your Cabbage Patch Doll had an accident and was badly torn or whatever and you sent it back to the manufacturers, they would issue you with a death certificate. Being the trusting individual that I am, I have always believed this to be the truth and upon repeating it out loud for the first time recently, I have been called every pseudonym imaginable for the word 'liar'. Do you know if there is ANY truth in what I was told?


Bizarre question

Post 2

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

They definitely had a system set up for birth certificates, and birthday cards even. And I believe they may have had a doll hospital where you could send your doll to be repaired. But the death certificate thing is surely a figment of someone's imagination....

smiley - cheerup
Mikey


Bizarre question

Post 3

Toastie Socks

I saw that they did on a TV programme about the 80s, and I believe it.


Bizarre question

Post 4

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

One of the reasons I'm pretty sure the "death certificate" thing is not real is that if it were, you'd be seeing them as collectors items with all other other CPK stuff, on eBay and the like -- and yet they've never appeared.

But, to satisfy y'all, I did a websearch. In every reference I could find to "cabbage patch kids" and "death certificate", the story is referenced to as an urban legend -- one of those things that everyone's heard about, but isn't really true. Here are some of the links:

http://www.snopes.com/business/consumer/cabbage.htm
http://www.tafkac.org/faq2k/stupid_192.html
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/folklore-faq/part3/

smiley - mouse


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more