A Conversation for The Menopause

The male menopause

Post 1

Cheerful Dragon

Years ago (and possibly even today) men tried to get sympathy during their 40s and 50s by claiming to go through a 'male menopause'. Symptoms of this include being unable to sustain an erection. Any sympathy I *might* have felt evaporated when I saw a BBC programme called (I think) body matters. It was hosted by, amongst others, Graham Garden, a qualified doctor as well as an ex-Goodie. On the programme they compared the human hormone system to a garden hose attached to a tap. During adult live, the tap is open and water (hormones) flows. They said that yes, men do experience a menopause, in the sense of reduced hormone levels. However, in a man, it's like somebody turning the tap off very slowly. In a woman, it's like somebody putting an axe through the hosepipe.

Nice try, fellas, but no cigar! smiley - winkeye


The male menopause

Post 2

ian the sweeper of skies and dream weaver

Trouble is men have got a hosepipe, women haven't.ouch!!ianmac.smiley - smiley


The male menopause

Post 3

abbi normal "Putting on the Ritz" with Dr Frankenstein

I heard a Dr talking about andropause in men.
Starting about 45 and being affected closer to once a year,lasting for weeks. Each year it tends to increase until stablized again at a lower level - in 6-8 years.

Like PMS and menopause if you have baggage it will feel as if it multiplies at that time. It can be a great positive motivator for change or it can be depressing.

I want to look around for more information , it's a controversial idea in some circles. Comments, links welcomedsmiley - ok


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more