A Conversation for Paradox

irresistable forces

Post 21

attic414

It is kind of like The Rutheford Expeiment, (and then again not) where they shot Alpha particles at gold film. The irresistable force could be some object of subatomic size. The Immoveable object could be something porous or what not, and the force just makes its happy way through some free area. Well, actually, that wouldn't really qualify for the two forces meeting at all, but it's a sort of loophole. Beats around the bush like the "w" administration.


irresistable forces

Post 22

AlexK the Twelve of Motion

When I was in middle school we always talked about this at lunch time. After weeks of discussion we finally came to the fool proof conclusion, which was very exciting for a group of middle schoolers who just solved a paradox.

If these two object collide, then they both end up floating at half the speed of the moving object. So if the moving object is going 200 miles/meter per hour, then after the collision they are both moving at 50.

Of course later the terribly obvious realization comes. We have changed the nature of BOTH objects, and totally didn't solve a thing. So what is the list of possible outcomes for this paradox if the objects are both solid objects.

They explode?
They swap properties? (the switch roles)


irresistable forces

Post 23

Agent Cream

An odd theory...
Tecnically the universe is an immovable object because taking up an infinite space there is nowhere to move it.
In a way it is also an irrestible force because there is nothing the could stop it being that nothing exists outside of it...
Maybe? I dunno what do you think?


irresistable forces

Post 24

Ménalque

just a thought on the nature of the immovable object.
Movement requires displacement. Displacement requires a transition from point A to point B. These points are defined only as coordinates relative to something else, let this something else = Q . Let the immovable object = W. If this W appears to "move", but Q moves in exactly the same direction and magnitude then W hasn't moved from point A, as this point is relative to Q. Therefore, if Q and W are linked so that any force acting on one acts equally on the other, no force can move W from point A. This means W is immovable, but dosn't resist the force.
Think of it as a dot (w) on a piece of paper (q). The dot's location is where it is on the paper, and this never changes so the dot never moves. An irresistable force can still exist as it simply moves the paper as well.


irresistable forces

Post 25

Marjin, After a long time of procrastination back lurking

I think you simplify too much.
Within the w-q system, there is no force at all, as nothing accelerates, let alone a irresistable force.
Seen from outside the system, there is no unmovable object, as any force moves that system with all internal objects.


irresistable forces

Post 26

Ménalque

what if our universe is the paper (q) and the point (w) is somewhere within it. To us w never moves, yet a force could still exist, moving universe (q) along with point (w),


irresistable forces

Post 27

Marjin, After a long time of procrastination back lurking

That means you postulate a super-universe outside our own with a force acting on every point in our complete universe in the same way, so we cannot detect that force. So no force to us. See my previous post.


Key: Complain about this post