A Conversation for Selected Pretentious Literary Terminology

Gerund

Post 1

Cap'n BK

I once, in a previous life, wrote a specification for a highly technical procurement. I submitted it to my elders and betters for scrutiny. They returned it with the one comment, that I had used a "gerund". They "normally deprecated the use of gerunds". I still don't really understand what a gerund is, despite looking it up. Could somebody explain, please?


Gerund

Post 2

Bels - an incurable optimist. A1050986

If you don't mind my saying so, there is a song called 'The Leaving of Liverpool'.

In that sentence, both 'saying' and 'Leaving' are gerunds.

A gerund in English is a word ending in '-ing' that is taken from a verb and used as a noun.

I see no reason why its use should be 'normally deprecated', and I am just wondering [not a gerund but a verb] under what circumstances your superiors would allow it.

Shakespeare uses it - for example, in 'Macbeth', Malcolm says 'Nothing in his life became him like the leaving it'.

Bels


Gerund

Post 3

Cap'n BK

Sorry for taking so long to reply, I had a traditional Scottish New Year. Thanks for the explanation, but it's the "-ing" that confuses. Not every verb with "ing" is a gerund, or is it? For example, in your first sentence "if you don't mind my saying.....", I can see saying is a gerund. If the sentence read "if you don't mind me saying....", would saying then still be a verb?


Gerund

Post 4

Bels - an incurable optimist. A1050986

>I am just wondering [not a gerund but a verb]

The -ing form only becomes a gerund when it is used as a noun, not as a verb.

'If you don't mind my saying so' - the verb in that phrase is 'mind'. [That could be either the English meaning of 'to mind' or the Scottish meaning.smiley - winkeye] 'Saying' is a noun there: it is the object of the verb 'mind'. 'My saying' is the thing you don't mind.

'I was saying, only the other day...' - there 'saying' is the verb, not a noun and therefore not a gerund.

'If you don't mind me saying so' is just grammatically incorrect, though of course it is in common usage. 'Saying' is still a gerund there.

'The Leaving of Liverpool' - there is no verb there, any more than there is in 'The Streets of Liverpool'. 'Leaving' is therefore a gerund, a noun derived from a verb.

See if you can replace an -ing word with another noun, and if you can it's probably a gerund. So 'If you don't mind my saying so' means 'If you don't mind my statement to that effect'. 'Statement' is a noun that can replace 'saying', so 'saying' is a gerund. And since you wouldn't say 'me statement' you shouldn't say 'me saying' - but of course people do.

Geddit?


Gerund

Post 5

Cap'n BK

Your last paragraph has cleared it up nicely. Thanks very much. At last I understand this gerunding(?)!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more