A Conversation for Tips on Moving House

Stress and Sadness

Post 1

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

Some people get so wrapped up in the physical necessities of moving (packing, paperwork, and so on) that they forget to watch out for themselves. If you're not moving in a horrible rush, though, it's a good idea to make time to:

* Set aside extra time for packing. It's better to take things slower with occasional mental health breaks.
* Visit anything around your old home that you kept meaning to get to (restaurants, attractions, parks, etc).
* Gather email addies of local friends, along with addresses and phone numbers if you don't have them.
* Research the new area through the internet, including potential social groups or clubs similar to what you're in.

Once you get to the new place:

* Remember that you don't have to be fully unpacked immediately. The knick knacks can wait.
* Take enough time off with the busy schedule to have fun. Read a book. Go swimming. Whatever.
* Locate the closest mall or shopping center. Consider buying a decorative item for the new home.
* Don't forget to use the email addresses you collected earlier. Let your old friends know how you are.

Moving is always stressful. But if you remember to take as good care of yourself as you take care of the stuff you're packing, things will be much better for you. Remember -- your stuff is only moving because you are.


Stress and Sadness

Post 2

Tilly - back in mauve

How convinient this topic is: I'm moving in about one month!

And to the sadness part: When you're moving far away from a place you have got very attached to, it can be a nightmare. The worst is if you got to move in a rush, then you wont have enough time to get used to the thought. But if you have got a little time, you should research and try to make a list of positive things you will get there, which you couldn't get in your previous home, and then get much information on everything on the list.

That maybe was a bit hard to understand. I can give you my personal experience (As I told you, I'm moving very soon to a place way across the city):

It was really depressed when I heard we had to move. I've lived here in Eidsvoll, Norway since I was born. But I found one positive thing; I got to change school. (My last year on school has been a nightmare, and now, finally I could move away from it). I got several brochures from the schools in the area, found one, and now I can't wait!

Let's say you're in this family who needs to move away from whatever reason. And if one of you, especially the young one, can't find ONE positive thing, I think it's important to find that one, or else he/she can be scarred for life.


Stress and Sadness

Post 3

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

I agree. The same steps taken for adults to ease their nerves should be taken for children too. I got very upset (right so) as a youngster when we were moving and my mother treated her glassware like children and me like unwanted baggage. My grades dropped in school until after the move, and she regretted her lack of attention to me later.

Kids don't want to leave their local friends, and very young ones can develop rich nightmares about the place they are moving to. If it's possible, I recommend taking the little one to see their new home sometime before the move. You could even take your kids along to a park or mall near the new place where they can feel a little more comfortable.

Most importantly, just ask them what their worries and fears are. Ask them what they would like to happen at their new home. And really listen. Most kids have very reasonable requests. They will appreciate being thought of.


Stress and Sadness

Post 4

Sho - employed again!

Make sure that you (and especially the kids) say goodbye properly to the house and area. We went through each room before we started packing and I explained that soon the things would go in boxes and that soon after that we would all put them in our new house. When the old place was empty we went round and said goodbye to each room individually, and told them (the rooms) how much fun they would have getting to know their new family).

When I started packing I let the children pack a small box of their own things (you can re-pack them after they go to sleep) and helped them seal them with tape. They drew "their" picture (they can't write yet) on their boxes, and supervised that they went in their new rooms. We undid the tape and let them unpack themselves. That way they were out of the way when we were moving the big stuff.

For about a month before the move we read a little story, every day - often more than once, about some children moving house. It helps if there is something really nice about the new place, or a really good reason to move. Then you can stress that for the kids ("there is a bigger garden, the play park is nearby" etc etc)

We spent some time before the move going to the new place (this isn't always possible, but maybe looking at a local website or local papers and maps would help) and learning the new area.

But it's not only the kids who need to say goodbye to places. And through it all, hopefully you're moving for a positive reason, you should try to remember why you're moving. Even if the house is being repossessed, think on: at least you won't have mortgage payments to make.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more