A Conversation for Joy Division - the Band

Joy Division

Post 1

TjabaTjenaHallo

there is a robust and gnarled beauty in both sound and text, themes of misunderstanding and the gap between our expectations of each other and reality have rarely been so brutally and elegantly explored. Is it voyeuristic to peek into the mind of of a disturbed genius feed on this open display of real/true emotion and walk away uplifted?


Joy Division

Post 2

hotblack desiato

I first discovered Joy Division about 7 years ago, when I was 14. Their Music affects me in many ways, as it is not only completely unique in style and content, but also possibly some of the most emotionally charged music of the 20th century. Critics of the band described them as depressing and dreary, but I see them more as a band who shared their own views on the bleak period in which they lived with an audience.
Not only does listening to Joy Division help me to put things into perspective, but it has also influenced my own lyrics, and last month I fulfilled a long-held ambition by covering one of their songs (New Dawn Fades) with my own band, and people didn't run away slitting their wrists, so that proves the critics wrong!
Finally, in response to the comment about not being able to describe the music of this band of bands, I shall attempt in five words:
Powerful, beautiful, haunting, innovative and timeless.


Joy Division

Post 3

Is mise Duncan

I think "She's lost control" was one of the most powerful musical revalations to hit me in my teens...and "Love will tear us apart" was just huge.


Joy Division

Post 4

LooseCannon

"Love will tear us apart" makes me happy and sad like no other tune. Ever.


Joy Division

Post 5

The Nitpicker

One of the most brilliant bands ever! How I wish I had seen them play live but I didn't. When New Order released Power, Corruption and Lies it seemed as if all was not lost but what a huge disappointment they were live! I saw them at WOMAD on Mersea Island in 1985 (leaving a great set by A Certain Ratio to do so) and they made all those very different songs from Power, etc sound exactly the same - I was sooo upset!


Joy Division

Post 6

Tube - the being being back for the time being

Love... Love will tear us apart... again

Could and did listen to that song for a couple of hours straight...

Tube


Joy Division

Post 7

TjabaTjenaHallo

HotBlack Desatio, the horniest name for an estate agent ever smiley - smiley


Joy Division

Post 8

hotblack desiato

why, thank you, I'll have to change careers!


Joy Division

Post 9

TjabaTjenaHallo

No really, it is actually the name of an estate agent company in England, please don't become an estate agent, pleeeeaassseee


Joy Division

Post 10

hotblack desiato

where is this scary company? I've never heard of them, but then again, I live in the black country, so the wheel has just about been accepted here! smiley - smiley


Joy Division

Post 11

hotblack desiato

where is this scary company? I've never heard of them, but then again, I live in the black country, so the wheel has just about been accepted here! smiley - smiley
And don't worry, I'm not about to give up the cushy life of a language student to become a git in a suit!


Key: Complain about this post