A Conversation for Parkinson's Law

Moore's Law

Post 1

Brandy Bottle (1+7+8+0!+0!+4! = 42)

This may be a little naive but shouldn't you include at least a footnote explaining your reference to Moore's Law.
In North America Parkinson's Law was restated as the Peter Principle, but it says essentially the same things. I believe you have omitted a couple of key points - you rather glossed over the principle that everyone rises to their level of incompetence - this is a major result of the expansion of staff, especially in a bureaucracy.
Also another corollary, that applies to management probably as much as to politics, is that the ability of a committee to make a decision is inversely proportional to the number of members (I am paraphrasing, since this is all from memory). The result of this is that any time the size of a committee exceeds seven members then all decisions will actually be made by a subcommittee consisting of only three of those members.


Moore's Law

Post 2

Martin Harper

*sighs*
Which bit of the first footnote didn't you understand? smiley - tongueout

There's a Parkinson's Law, and there's a Peter's Principle. Named by different comedians, in different books, at different times. Related, but certainly not the same thing.

I guess CHawke was right after all... smiley - winkeye


Moore's Law

Post 3

C Hawke

Now, Now Lucinda I am big enough to be rude myself smiley - smiley

So, Which bit of the first footnote didn't you understand?


smiley - smiley

ChawkE

Oh and PS it was an entry on both Parkinson and Peter but some Scout thought it was better this way round, now who could that be Martin smiley - smiley ?

Oh it's good to be home.


Moore's Law

Post 4

Martin Harper

I dunno - someScout with too much time on their hands. They should stick to correcting grammar, that's what I say! smiley - winkeye


Moore's Law

Post 5

C Hawke

It's amazing that between exams and holidays in the sun any of us get anything done smiley - smiley

ChawkE


Moore's Law

Post 6

Martin Harper

Oh yeah? Where did you holiday too? smiley - smiley


Moore's Law

Post 7

Recumbentman

And Moore's Law is?


Moore's Law

Post 8

Recumbentman

"Moore's law is an empirical observation stating in effect that at our rate of technological development and advances in the semiconductor industry the complexity of integrated circuits doubles every 18 months."

Could have gone in a footnote.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more