A Conversation for How To Do The Laundry Properly and Efficiently

Soap Nuts

Post 1

Vestboy

Around for a lot longer than detergents they are a natural way of cleaning clothes (among other things) without the harmful side effects of detergents, so I hear. Also a lot cheaper per wash!

Has any one out there used them. They seem to be growing in popularity in the "green" world.


Soap Nuts

Post 2

Malabarista - now with added pony

I've tried them a few times. They smell a bit...odd.


Soap Nuts

Post 3

Vestboy

Do they leave your clothes with a funny smell?


Soap Nuts

Post 4

Malabarista - now with added pony

They can do, especially if you don't hang them up to dry straight away. But even then, they won't smell "clean", ie not perfumed from your normal detergent. It helps to put some some scented oils in the "fabric softener" drawer. (You won't need that - the soap nuts don't get rinsed out after all. That's why it might be a good idea to do a "normal" wash every few cycles.)


Soap Nuts

Post 5

Vestboy

OK we may give them a go then. Thanks for the advice, Mala.


Soap Nuts

Post 6

dragonqueen - eternally free and forever untamed - insomniac extraordinaire - proprietrix of a bullwhip, badger button and (partly) of a thoroughly used sub with a purple collar. Matron of Honour.

Studies I've read about stones/balls/nuts etc. to replace detergent have shown that they don't make the clothes any cleaner than just water by itself.

Useless thingamajigs so to say.

smiley - dragon


Soap Nuts

Post 7

Malabarista - now with added pony

Well, the nuts (or rather their husks) actually contain saponins - it's not like those stupid "miracle balls". Those are more of a placebo so people dare to use less detergent. Most people just use too much of it.


Soap Nuts

Post 8

aka Bel - A87832164

I've tried them, and the laundry wasn't clean at all - and I'm not talking the lack of 'fresh' smell here. I tried them at 30°C - maybe that's just not a high enough temperature.

Good article, btw. smiley - ok


Soap Nuts

Post 9

Malabarista - now with added pony

I used them at 30° as well, but I've only used them a few times on stuff that wasn't really dirty or only had water-soluble stains - sheets and towels and the bathmat, mostly. smiley - ok

But I prefer to just use the "green" detergent.


Soap Nuts

Post 10

aka Bel - A87832164

My husband wasn't impressed with his shirt still being dirty and downright forbade me to use soap nuts ever again.


Soap Nuts

Post 11

Vestboy

Ooh! A proper discussion! smiley - bigeyes


Soap Nuts

Post 12

Sho - employed again!

I use much less washing liquid than the manufacturer (of the liquid) recommends - unless I have a really filthy wash to do.

I had been considering the soap nuts or ball things - I think I'll give them a miss now though.


Soap Nuts

Post 13

Sho - employed again!

Oh and I meant to say smiley - applause for this, MMF, nice to see it on the FP (especially at the weekend when lots of us will be doing our washing!)


Soap Nuts

Post 14

Malabarista - now with added pony

I think I still have some of the nuts, if you want to try them.


Soap Nuts

Post 15

Sho - employed again!

Moi?
No thanks - I think I can live without them.


Soap Nuts

Post 16

Malabarista - now with added pony

smiley - laugh So can I, really.


Soap Nuts

Post 17

Vestboy

I'd like to give them a go but it is probably easier for me to fdind some closer to home - but thanks for the offer! smiley - cheers


Key: Complain about this post