A Conversation for Labrador Retrievers

Kudos

Post 1

JD

My family has a small kennel where they specialize in Chocolate Laboradors ... I was pleasantly surprised to find this entry today as I've just spoken with my Mother about a new litter that arrived just a few days ago, on Mother's day! Adorable little things, but you're right about the weight problems (they need lots of exercise!), loving swimming (great exercise there), and the hip problems (poor ol' Grandma lab has terrible hip problems now that she's 11). They make terrific pets too, can't say enough about them. Thanks for writing the article.


Kudos

Post 2

I.V. BeerDwarf

Great article!

My family had a yellow when I was a rug rat. I remember he was very protective of the family. As if he was like our big brother or something. He didn't like people until he got used to them, and become aggresive when people unknown to him were on the property.
I've often heard they are are friendly breed, but are they generally protective? Or was he an exception?


Kudos

Post 3

Britwannabe {......... }

Any breed of dog that is larger than a loaf of bread seems to know who's nice and who's not. I had a Golden Retriever/Yellow Lab mix and she would always bark at suspicious charaters. My neighbor had a black lab with hips so bad he couldn't get out of the way of the car that backed over him. Broke his pelvis. When he recovered he could run and play like a puppy again and never had a hip problem again!


Kudos

Post 4

TroubleAgain

I love labs! I have a lab mix who is a darling! She does shed more than twice a year, however. (More like constantly.) She is also afraid of water, because she wasn't exposed to it until she was about 3 years old. She is my sweet little mutt, though and can't do enough to please me. What a great breed!


Kudos

Post 5

Mardi Gra

hmmm, so if my idiotic animal develops hip problems (she is now 6) perhaps backing the car over her is worth a try?

for the benefit of those who need this word here: kidding!

thanks for the positive comments smiley - biggrin


Kudos

Post 6

chickadee (wheee!)

Yup, labs are great. I've got a black one. Sweetest dog in the world--in fourth grade (only time I took her trick-or-treating, she was a puppy) I dressed her up as a "fairy dogmother" smiley - winkeye with a tutu and wings and she loved it. We've also put her in reindeer antlers for chrismas and painted her toenails. I guess we're cruel owners like that, but she gets so happy with the extra attention! smiley - dogShe's kinda protective, but she's a great watchdog (except after dark--she's snoring then), spends all day watching the driveway through the window for people that might pet her, tatally adores the mailman (and the vet). Obviously, if I have a lab, I loved the article, but you forgot to mention the webbed feet! They really do have them. Also, there are two strains--slim, fast hunting dogs and stocky, powerful show dogs, although both strains are great dogs. Has anyone else noticed how much they love having their butt scratched or that their feet are ticklish?


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more