A Conversation for Earthworms

Very Interesting!

Post 1

Sad, Mad or Bad? - I always wanted to be a dino, but alas, I'm just old.

I love worms; and I really enjoyed reading your entry -- and now I know why they come out in the rain.

Am I the only person who rescues worms they see on the footpath?


Very Interesting!

Post 2

Peregrin

I do too smiley - smiley

Re. flatworms; what isn't mentioned in the entry is that they're not native to the UK, and came over from New Zealand, I think. They eat the native worms smiley - sadface


Very Interesting!

Post 3

Sad, Mad or Bad? - I always wanted to be a dino, but alas, I'm just old.

smiley - biggrin Oh wow, another worm-rescuer! smiley - cool


Very Interesting!

Post 4

Sho - employed again!

Me too. Perhaps we should have a Worm Rescue Service badge made up?


Very Interesting!

Post 5

Peregrin

I also rescue flies, bees, ladybirds, and other flying bugs trapped inside windows. smiley - smiley


Very Interesting!

Post 6

Shorn Canary ~^~^~ sign the petition to save the albatrosses

Yes, good article! Also good to find some fellow nut cases here.

How nice to know I'm not alone. If it's been raining and the sun's come out and they're left dry, dusty and gasping, I usually find a puddle to give them a little rinse before putting them on some damp soil. I also rescue any bug that looks needy. Do you other worm emergency rescuers also look around surreptitiously to make sure nobody's watching?


Very Interesting!

Post 7

Peregrin

And snails too. I even dismantle my home made brick barbeque before using it, to make sure there's no snails hiding in it.

I remember getting most upset in primary school when the other kids swatted wasps or stamped on ants smiley - bluesmiley - biggrin


Very Interesting!

Post 8

Metal Chicken

Has anyone heard of the annual worm charming contest held in Cheshire?
I kid you not - there is a British and European worm charming federation and every year they challenge people to compete in enticing worms out of a small plot of land over a 15 minute period.
If you don't believe me try typing 'worm charming' into your favourite search engine...


Very Interesting!

Post 9

Metal Chicken

PS I too have been known to rescue stranded earthworms.


Worm slammers

Post 10

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

An extract from a yarn I wrote about the Hokitika Wildfood Festival, held annually in New Zealand.

So I trundle past Porky's Fast Food, pay the $15, nip into one of the big marquees, quell the shudders and down a huhu grub. It is a fat thing, about half the length of my finger, made up of a lot of round rings like the Michelin man. It tastes nutty, and squishy. I give the muttonbirds a miss, likewise the wild West Coast mushrooms and the wacky mousse and grab a worm slammer, worm pickled in vodka and served with moonshine. The booze is so strong you don't notice the worm, which looks like a garden one. Then I toss back a broom-flower wine (you start with a bucket of flowers and a bucket of water, says the vintner), try a bit of stinging-nettle soup, which is only okay, and down an octopus patty with a kina [seaegg] slammer while the Kokatahi Band belts out the Maori Battalion marching song.


Worm slammers

Post 11

Peregrin

Cool smiley - smiley

I don't mind animals being killed for food, but I don't like mindless killing/squishing.

I remember making elderflower champagne and stinging nettle soup from our garden... oh and dandelion tea.


Very Interesting!

Post 12

Sho - employed again!

I've heard of it. Usually gets a mention at the tail end of the news. smiley - smiley
I rescue all sorts of bugs, animals etc. And, to whoever asked the question, I don't look round and check if anyone's looking, I just do it. (unless there are worm-squishing kids on the loose)


Key: Complain about this post