A Conversation for Dry Skin

Babyoil and salt...

Post 1

a girl called Ben

Well, baby oil is a mineral oil and not very good for you because:

1) it is not absorbed into the skin but just sits on top
2) it contains non-natural(petro?)chemicals

I tried this the other day with olive oil and salt, and ok, the salt was probably too rough, but it is very difficult to manipulate a handful of grit held together with grease.... I got through a lot of both substances, too.

Still, my skin did feel good.

agcB


Babyoil and salt...

Post 2

Sue

Well, you're braver than I am for trying this! I can see that olive oil may be preferable, as you say, baby oil is a petrochemical, but some people do swear by it...

Thanks for reading it too - I'll do an update on this when I get 5 minutes spare to include the olive oil bit.

Any more feedback is more than welcome! smiley - smiley

Sue


Babyoil and salt...

Post 3

msmonsy

wow! this is great smiley - smiley i never knew that by posing a question somewhere it would turn out to be this smiley - smiley i am glad someone was able to gather all the helpful advise up and make something out of it. as for me and my dry skin...still there only not as bad, i must admit to the baby oil in the shower thing...no, doesn't soak in but using it while still wet does seem to help hold some of the moisture in. then lotion is my best friend and i also try to not make my showers as hot as i used to (i love a good hot shower).
the olive oil is one i haven't tried yet...i cook with it, does that count? LOL! smiley - winkeye actually, i think my hubby would me evaluated for using olive oil in this way smiley - winkeye
oh, i did find one other nice thing when it comes to helping with dry skin...exfoliate in the shower...you know, those rough spong things that are brown (mind is blank on the name right now). it removes the top layer of dead skin cells and that combined with lotion, lower shower temps and such seems to work really good (at least for me)
Monsy


Babyoil and salt...

Post 4

Sue

Glad you like it Monsy.

Have you seen what you started? http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/a528167 If I'd have known what I was starting on 6 months ago...smiley - smiley


Babyoil and salt...

Post 5

msmonsy

Goodness!! who'd of thunk that one little question would turn into something that helpfull! wonderful job there smiley - smiley.
after reading what spawned from a single question i had a coworker with skin problems and i directed her to this page. not sure yet because she hasn't had enough time to see results but i think with all the info there something is bound to work for her.
again, great job...i am glad to see this smiley - smiley
Monsy


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more