A Conversation for Steve Hillage - Musician

Dave Stewart is not Dave Stewart

Post 1

Wongle

Dave Stewart is probably resigned to the fact that he's always going to be mistaken for "the bearded one in the Eurythmics".

The DS who worked with Steve Hillage and others prominent in the Canterbury Scene is a keyboard player, composer and arranger who is very well-known and highly respected in the music business. In the 70s he was a key figure in groups such as Egg, National Health, and Hatfield and the North. Legendary drummer Bill Bruford was also part of this scene, and Stewart collaborated with Bruford on some jazz-rock fusion projects after the latter left Yes. In the 80s with his partner, singer Barbara Gaskin, Stewart embarked on a series of solo albums. Some of their work has included clever covers of famous pop songs (remember the one-hit wonder single "It's My Party" in 1981?).

Dave Stewart is also a notably knowledgeable and witty writer on musical subjects: he had a regular column in the US "Keyboard" mag for many years, and published two excellent books (recently reprinted) introducing self-taught musicians to the finer points of notation, composition and arranging. As well as his ongoing projects with Barbara Gaskin he regularly guests on other artists' albums, writes music for TV, and contributes articles to "Sound-On-Sound" magazine.

His official website is at [url removed by moderator]


Dave Stewart is not Dave Stewart - apology

Post 2

Wongle

I've just noticed that I've breached House Rules by including a URL in a Conversation. Sorry about that.

The Dave Stewart & Barbara Gaskin site is safe enough even for babes-in-arms, but I accept the need for the rule.


Dave Stewart is not Dave Stewart - apology

Post 3

?

Anyone who has seen the cover-photos on the "Fish Rising" album (Hillage's) would be surprised if they are not the same person!
Not only is their name similar, but they look alike!
I've heard some stuff from Stewart & Gaskin (I absolutely loved their version of "it's my party"), but again, I thought it was the SAME Dave Stewart.

(And to be VERY clear: I DON'T accept the need for the rule about URLs, it really pisses me off!)


Dave Stewart is not Dave Stewart - apology

Post 4

Wongle

They don't look much alike now (assuming that the Eurythmic one is still bearded - the Real one is clean-shaven and prominent of jaw).

As for the URLs, I agree it's annoying. My apology was just recognition of the fact that the rule exists and I'd broken it. The moderator excised it after I posted my grovel.


Dave Stewart is not Dave Stewart - apology

Post 5

?

The Dave Stewart on the photo on the cover of "Fish Rising" does indeed wear a beard (and dark glasses, if I remember correctly), but then again, the album is from 1975, and "good taste" was hard to find in the 70s (and I don't mean only 70s-style "facial hair"). It would be horrible if someone hasn't changed his/her look yet since 1975!

I don't know how one goes about to correct a mistake in an edited entry, but I suppose that anyone who is interested enough to read this entry will also read the conversations...


Dave Stewart is not Dave Stewart - apology

Post 6

SchrEck Inc.

I've taken the reference to the Eurythmics out. smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more