A Conversation for Steve Hillage - Musician

Tubular Bells

Post 1

rikkigromadski

Steve Hillage played one of the four or so lead guitar parts in Tubular Bells at the launch concert at, i think, the Queen Elizabeth Hall. The other parts were played by Fred Frith (then with Henry Cow) Mick taylor(rolling Stones) & Oldfield himself. One of the fast unison solos tested Taylor's technique well beyond his usual Stones repertoire to the extent that after an hour or so of trying to master it at rehearsal the other 40 or so musicians, techies and hangers on like me were all pleading inwardly that he would give up and air guitar it. It didn't matter on the night as Viv Stanshall was so pissed he announced the carefully choreographed instrument introductions in random order...

I don't agree that Don Cherry is now best known as a father of famous children - good as they may be the stuff he did with Ornette Coleman is surely going to be appreciated long after they are forgotten.


Key: Complain about this post

Tubular Bells

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more