A Conversation for Perfect Cheese Sauce

Mustard!

Post 1

Sho - employed again!

Nice recipe, but I have to say that I think you left out the most important ingredient to give the sauce a bit of a tang. That is 1/4 to 1/2 tsp Coleman's English Mustard powder. Can be sieved together with the flour.
Also, if you warm the milk up a bit it makes it easier to blend.
Finally, if you add a teaspoon or two of grated parmesan that adds to the tangy/cheesy flavour.


Mustard!

Post 2

Gorthaur

I agree with you on the mustard, it's a must have ingredient that makes a lot of difference.


Mustard!

Post 3

$u$

Hi again Sho.

I've got to admit I've never tried adding mustard, mostly cause I never have any in the house. I like my fresh-ground black pepper though.smiley - smiley

~A~


Mustard!

Post 4

Sho - employed again!

Hi Pagasus, nice to see you again smiley - smiley

Mustard is a must (sorry that was awful) but so is black pepper. I tend to grind the pepper and mustard together in a pestle & mortar and add before the flour. Sometimes I grind mustard seeds and pepper, but it's not as good. The mustard simply must (sorry) be Colemans English Mustard Powder.


Mustard!

Post 5

$u$

So what you're saying is... 'mustard is a must-have'?!smiley - biggrin

~A~


Mustard!

Post 6

Sho - employed again!

All this talk of Cheese Sauce forced me to make maccaroni cheese yesterday. And I couldn't get any cheddar due to F&M and M&S (no cheese exports, and they're closing anyway sniff sniff) so it tasted pretty yukky. Still ate it all now. And I used my last spoonful of mustard.
Sigh.
Life has to go on, but I'm not sure how.

Veggie cheddar btw, just in case you were wondering!


Mustard!

Post 7

$u$

It's good to see now that many cheeses in the supermarkets are veggie, and I suspect that demand for them will increase dramatically! Mmmm..... macaroni cheese. Haven't made that for a while, but I think I will be very soon...smiley - winkeye

~A~


Mustard!

Post 8

mumofroo

hi all, i've never posted b4, only joined up today, but have found it all very interesting so here goes...smiley - blush

my mum suggested mustard to me as the secret ingredient of a fab white sauce to go with white fish. i thought she was barking to be honest - i'm not keen on mustard, but having read this lot i'm gonna give it a go. my hubby is mad for english mustard so he will be chuffed to bits to see it being used as a proper ingredient and not just something he puts on the side of his plate. just one question thought; does it have to be mustard powder or can you use colemans english mustard paste?

nice to meet you all, hope we get to speak again soon

L x smiley - biggrin


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more