A Conversation for The Annoyances of Scrabble

Hootoo gatherings

Post 1

Munchkin

Actually, at the last Edinburgh gathering a game of Scrabble was played, during which one of the players passed out from a surfeit of alcohol. smiley - smiley Interestingly, the first word on the board was pub, illustrating a lack of imagination amongst the players.


Hootoo gatherings

Post 2

Is mise Duncan

I once started a game of scrabble in a coffee bar in Amsterdam. I forget what happened, but I remember being hungry smiley - winkeye


Hootoo gatherings

Post 3

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

*I* started the game of Scrabble in Edinburgh, mentioned above; There are photos of the final board on the web (somewhere) and believe me, they show no lack of imagination! smiley - bigeyes


Hootoo gatherings

Post 4

The Admiral

Never drink and dri.....play scrabble. You could end up killing someone, either with boredom or with a dictionary...


Hootoo gatherings

Post 5

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

It is uncanny that a word like 'pub' should come up as the first word played in a Scrabble game set up in a pub. There is a voodoo/hoodoo truth revealed here and I would not like any of you to think that I'm taking the micky on this. It's a mystery like the Ouija board.

These Ouija-board phenomena of the Scrabble board have intrigued me or years. It is most interesting when playing a new aquaintance of the opposex. Words like 'bed' and 'screw' and 'tongue' and 'hardy' seem to 'come' up with a frequency beyond simple chance. It's almost as if an intelligence is at work, manipulating the letters into significant and relevant arrangements.
~ jwf ~


Hootoo gatherings

Post 6

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

Yes...... That intelligence is you, in case you didn't realize.

smiley - pirate


Hootoo gatherings

Post 7

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum


Moi?
smiley - bigeyes
At least you didn't say I have a one track mind.

My own fault though for choosing the example of players of opposite sex whose subconscious minds (or the subtext of their encounter) would be aware at some level of sexual tension or potential. The choice however did limit the range of possibilities.

So just let me say that it is equally possible to have a board fill up with associated words from any number of other topics beside sex - like transportation words, or floral nomenclature, or shipping news. I'll wager that two carpenters playing would inevitably use a lot of terms from their trade.

And of course at the time (March 2001) sex was a favourite subject in cyberspace and I was trying to be 'popular'.

smiley - winkeye
~jwf~


Key: Complain about this post