h2g2 Academy Awards

0 Conversations

The h2g2 Film Society has recently launched it's own version of the Oscar's. Only ours are far friendlier and, should she win, Gwyneth Paltrow should not feel the need to cry. As this is the choice of the h2g2 community, however, what better could we do than name them 'PETA's in honour of our hard-working and much loved community editor?

The categories for voting are simple:

Best Picture

  • Best Actor in a leading Role
  • Best Actress in a Leading Role
  • Best Actor in a Supporting Role
  • Best Actress in Supporting Role

Also in the remit of the h2g2 Academy of Film is the 'Lifetime Achievement Award'.

Voting has been hot so far, but there is still plenty of time to vote. The winner will receive confirmation of their PETA by e-mail or at their Web Site the morning after the Oscar ceremony in Hollywood. Maybe some poor soul who misses out on that night will receive an even better award the next morning.

The voting booths have only been open a few days, but researchers are already letting their voices be heard! Some of the 'Official' nominees of that other academy are 'looking in the distance' as your choices are making headway.

'Best Picture' voting features one of the favourites for the Oscar going strong for the PETA: American Beauty, with two films pushing hard in hot competition: Man on the Moon and Run Lola Run. Also up there Toy Story II and South Park.

'Best Actor' rounds up the usual suspects: Kevin Spacey, Denzel Washington and Jim Carrey getting your nods.

'Best Actress' sees the heavily-pregnant Anette Bening keeping things going with Linda Fiorentina and Janet McTeer.

This leads us to the 'Lifetime Achievement Award' which, at present, is developing into a close two-headed battle between the late Stanley Kubrick (a year before one of his masterpieces 2001), and the 'First Knight of Edinburgh', Sir Sean Connery.

'It is not over 'til the fat lady sings, however, and, hopefully, Rosie O'Donnell won't be repeating her performance from the Grammy's too soon. So make your way over and check it out; make this poll as inclusive of h2g2 as possible, and make it a real h2g2 Community Award


Demon Drawer


13.03.00. Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A503786

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more