A Conversation for Unusual Musical Instruments

More on the musical saw

Post 1

The Yorkshire Musical Saw Player

In deed the musical saw was originally a tool, but transferred into the music halls during the end of the 19 Century. The instrument does not have sharp teeth as they are not set like a carpenters tool. There are some makes that have no teeth at all, but my personal view would be that this could not really be classed a musical saw. In the United Kingdom it appears that the instrument was popular during the 1920's and 30's. It was used by comedians as well as serious musicians. The serious performers include names such as Gloucestershire George, Ronald Tingle, W.R.Willis, Thomas Stones, Cecil Twistleton, Ted Sawyer, J Dodds, and Jack Robinson. When radio first started the instrument was given prime air time with tea time recitals and performances with Orchestras such as the Northern Wireless Orchestra (now the BBC Philharmonic). After this the instrument started to decline in popularity. Music halls were replaced by picture houses, radio and gramaphone records. The second world war accelerated its decline as steel went to support the war effort and musicians went to fight. There is only one manufacturer left in the UK in Sheffield and all other instruments have to imported, mostly from the states.
It can be both played with a bow for smooth playing, or it can be played with a small hammer for a more percussive effect. Both have their place.
You might think that there is very little music for the musical saw a list, which is still growing, can be located at http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/yorkshiresawplayer/composers.htm


More on the musical saw

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

My daughter has a musical saw, but she hasn't learned to play it yet.


More on the musical saw

Post 3

The Yorkshire Musical Saw Player

Hi You can learn to play the saw at playthesaw.co.uk. You can also get free online lessons from here if you have access to SKYPE.


More on the musical saw

Post 4

The Yorkshire Musical Saw Player

Playing the musical saw is very easy.... well OK getting a few notes is easy. It takes a little time and patience to get used to the instrument. In some ways its like playing a violin with fingers at both ends of the finger board. This is because your string on the saw is a virtual one. You need to bend your saw into an "S" shape and this effectively creates your string between the two bends of the instrument. By adjusting the shape of the "S" through more aggressive or less aggressive bends you effectively lengthen or shorten the string. The longer the string the deeper the note. Above and below the central sting you have two outer strings which if you accidently touch upon, will create high pitched squeaks known as harmonics. This is a bit like playing a violin on the wrong side of the bridge, a technique which has sometimes been used by modern composers, but is not recommended if you want to keep your friends and neighbours.
It is possible to merge two strings together to get the deepest notes, or even play loose un-tuneful chords. The latter is not recommended as you cannot control accuracy of the two separate strings and notes. Having said that for dark Halloween night in the middle of a wood in Bradford it is guaranteed frighten the locals.... Not that I'd do that of course !!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more