The Internally Explosive Nail Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

The Internally Explosive Nail

4 Conversations

Conceived and patented by the prolific inventor Arthur Paul Pedrick, the internally explosive nail is just the sort of display of lateral thinking that pervades Pedrick's work. Whereas so many people mutter 'I could have done that' after the event, here is a man who charges forward and seizes the moment.

A common problem in do-it-yourself is the pulsing red fingers caused by inaccurate aiming with hammers at nail heads. Tough materials can make driving a nail home very difficult to achieve without repeated screams and howls, as high speed metal comes into contact with soft flesh and bone. The dilemma is how to hold the nail steady without exposing oneself to the potential for injury. The internally explosive nail may be the solution.

The Way it Works

The nail is composed of a standard outer body, with a cavity at the centre, and a thin channel that runs from the point at the front to the round, flat head at the back. In the head of the nail is a secondary, smaller head attached to a thin pin that fits in the channel. The head of this secondary pin is slightly raised above the level of the primary head. In the core of the nail is a small explosive charge attached, by the head, to another pin. This pin, with a sharp end sticking outward away from the explosive, fits within the channel running from the cavity to the point of the nail.

Hold the nail close to the head, with the point pressed against the surface into which it needs to be driven. A hammer is used to tap firmly against the head of the nail, striking the raised secondary head. The impact sets off the small explosive charge, which forces the sharpened pin into the surface of the material. This pin serves as an anchor, holding the nail upright, ready for further strikes from the hammer, to complete the job without the continued need for fingers to hold it steady.

Ahead of its Time

The internally explosive nail is a simple and elegant idea, providing a means to complete the job in hand without causing grievous injury to those hands. Of course, the thought of having hardware containing an explosive charge stored around the house is something that might put potential users off, especially when the tiny explosives require the user to grip them between the tips of the fingers. Then again, fireworks are a form of explosive, and many people worldwide think nothing of wandering around with them in their hands within dangerous proximity of naked flames.

Only time will tell whether the internally explosive nail has a place in our homes.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A476822

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

References

h2g2 Entries

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more