A Conversation for Greta Garbo

Garbo

Post 1

Ashley


There has been no actress who has managed to flame the fire of passion in so many hearts as Garbo. She managed to whip men in to a frenzy with a look, force fierce men to their knees with a scowl and bring mirth to the most dire of hearts. Unlike her contemporary Dietrich (their careers shadowed each other - when Garbo made her comedy Ninotchka, Dietrich did a comedy - Destry Rides Again - with Jimmy Stewart), Garbo's sexuality was not overt. It was there, it was seething, tumultuous in its repressed state but it was unthreatening nonetheless.

The cinema is a sadder place without her and she is one of the few actresses to have the courage of her convictions - she retired and never returned to the screen. True, she broke the hearts of many men but she kept her word.

A Garbo season at the NFT in London is a guaranteed sell-out months in advance - out stripping other identifiable actresses - and is guaranteed to break the hearts of yet another generation of young, impressionable men.

As you can tell, Garbo is my favourite - the French even call her 'La Divine'...


Garbo

Post 2

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

I didn't know that she is called 'La Divine!' It's a great name for her, though. She really was.

When I go back to watch silent films, very few of them retain my interest for long. I guess I'm spoiled by today's technology. But Garbo also seems to light up the screen when she is on, even if she never says a word.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Greta Garbo

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more