A Conversation for Greta Garbo

not only but also

Post 1

spebchob

You forgot to mention her role in "Not only But also" where she kept Peter Cook awake banging on the window.

"Pewter - Pewter - you now how those bloody Swedes go on"


not only but also

Post 2

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

I cobbled my Filmography from several different sources and didnt' find the series listed anywhere. But I did a search online and found what you are referring to.

"Not Only... But Also" was a British comedy series from 1965-1970. The comedy team of Peter Cook and Dudley Moore had a popular comedy sketch called 'Greta-Bloody-Garbo.' This proves so popular that it was repeated in a 1990 video called 'Best of What's Left of... Not Only... But Also..."

IT looks like Garbo didn't actually appear in this sketch. But part of the humour was in taking a stately famous character like herself and portraying her as a niggling nuisance in the life of an ordinary bloke. Have I got that right, spebchob?


not only but also

Post 3

Tashalls, Muse of Flights of Fancy (Losing Weight at A858170)

Garbo was also lampooned again in Not only...But Also... in a complete sketch dedicated to her.

Peter Cook plays the ethereal "Bargo", and the sketch ends with her character on a chair which is strapped to the top of a car, holding a megaphone and shouting "I vant to be alone".




not only but also

Post 4

spebchob

Looks like your name should be Fragilis the Methodical.

Cook and Moore's series could be a bit uneven but the "Pete and Dud" chats were highlights and the Garbo one particularly good.


not only but also

Post 5

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

You're not the first one to make that pun, spebchob. smiley - winkeye

Thanks to both you and Tashalls for the contribution to the discussion. I hope I see both of those sketches someday.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Greta Garbo

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more