Harry Potter and the HBP theory page: Warning contains massive spoilers

3 Conversations

Right well I have now given this a couple of days thought and it is coming somewhere near completion now but here is my current case for the defence of Severus Snape. Whilst your here can I reccomend Andy G's article on the identity of R A B

Points in evidence

1) Dumbledore trusted Snape, whilst we are led to think that Dumbledore has a tendency to trust too much there is absolutely no "canon" indication that he is stupid. Au contraire. Whilst it is possible that Dumbledore had a reason and it was wrong there is no way he would have trusted Snape merely on the kind of "Sorry" that Snape described to Narccissa and Bellatrix in Spinners end.

No doubt we are still to find out exactly what it is that Snape said/did to Dumbledore to make him trust him.

2) In the "Spinners End" chapter, Snape tells Narccissa that he does indeed know the Dark Lords plan, and makes an unbreakable oath to help Draco. But does he actually really know what he is making an oath about? Probably, but the fact they didn't say it leaves an element of doubt.

3) Assuming Snape really is a "White Hat", or at the very least still an undecided double agent. Then it follows that Dumbledore would have known in advance about both Draco's orders *AND* the fact that Snape was bound by an unbreakable oath to carry them out. Knowing this Dumbledore would have had to decide who to save himself or Snape. There is no guarantee given what we know from cannon that Dumbledore would have chosen his own life over another’s.

4) We still don't really know much background to the "Werewolf Caper" specifically how it came about, and crucially the circumstances in which James saved Snapes life. We already know that saving a wizards life creates a bond and a debt. It could well be that Snape is still in debt to James, and therefore Harry.

5) We are given some tantalising clues that there may be some mileage in the Snape loved Lily fanon tradition. As well as the Pensive incident we also have the interesting news that Lily was awfully gifted at Potions, something she clearly shared with Snape.

6) Snape seemed particularly hurt at Harry calling him a coward. Why? I don't get the impression that Dark Wizards and Death Eaters are particularly concerned about such things. Maybe suggesting he isn't one.

7) During the final chase it could be argued that Snape was still teaching Harry. Namely he was preparing him for the final battle with Voldermort. Surely Harry no realises the importance of learning Occulemency after Snape could so easily block *ALL* of his spells. If Snape can do this then surely the "Best Legilemens In The World tm" is going to tear him to strips. Harry now knows he must learn Occulemency for sure.

8) We have a brief description from Hargid about a heated argument between Dumbledore and Snape, but with no further details or explanation. This surely has to be significant and wasn't put in by accident. What were they arguing about? Could it be Dumbledores insisting that when the time is right Snape has to AK him?

9) Dumbledore pleading to Snape. Does it sound in *ANY* way in character for Dumbledore to plead for his life in the face of certain death? Really? Everything we have seen in Cannon suggests that Dumbledore would face death with his head held high. However he could well plead for *other* peoples lives and it be in character.

Now Snape who knows Dumbledore probably went off with Harry, who knows Harry has an invisibility cloak and can see two broomsticks. He knows Draco is there and seemingly is redeemable. He knows that if he turns on the Death Eaters with odds of 4-1 he probably wont be able to save Dumbledore and both the boys. Maybe what Dumbledore is do is pleading "Severus you *know* what you have to do, don’t sacrifice the boys AND yourself for an old man". Looks a bit different that way.

10) It has now been set up in canon that as far as Harry is concerned Snape is irredeemably evil. Harry who has never like Snape now *DIRECTLY* blames him for the deaths of four of the people who meant the most to him in the world, His Parents, Sirius and Dumbledore. Given that we have been misdirected about Snape time and time again this just seems all too neat for me. Surely this is a classic JKR red-herring/set-up.

In fact I think I know how this might pan out. I think Snape will basically be a test for the inherent "goodness" of Harry. Harry is going to be put in a position in book 7 where he has absolute power over Snape. Harry is going to be tempted to AK Snape. Harry is going to be given the answers to a lot of these questions. Harry is going to have to make a choice.

11) If there is one thing that is consistent in JKR’s writing thus far it is that she loves misdirection as a literary device. Almost everything it not as it first seems, and we always seem to be given an incomplete picture of what is going on. Particularly in relation to Severus Snape.

Pretty much everything we have *ever* been led to think in relation to Snape has later turned out to be erroneous, now in book 6 we have been given pretty much what seems to be cast iron proof that everything we have ever thought about Snape is true and he is an irredeemable bad guy. It just seems all to neat for my liking. Once again I feel like I am being led down the garden path. I cannot believe that there will not be at least one more twist in the tail regarding Snape.

But....

If Dumbledore was intending for Snape to kill him and still be a usefully order member then surely he would have had to let *someone* know about the plan right?

Well I have given it some thought and come up with two possible explanations one much more likely than the other.

In the parlance of "countdown" I will go for my risky 8 first then the safer 5.

For the risky theory (which I don't really expect to be true) Then Dumbledore was still formulating his plan RE the unbreakable vow and didn't expect the attempt to come when it did. He certainly didn't expect DE to be there when it all happened. Consequently he hadn't yet told whomever would be his nominated 2IC of the plot. Seems unlikely doesn't it.

The (nominally) more likely theory is that Snape still has a last job for Dumbledore to do, but it is one that isn't spying for the order. It is in fact one that requires there to be absolutly no possibility of Voldy or his death eaters ever coming to suspect Snape again. That means he kills Dumbledore and no-one but Dumbledore knows the plan. If the new order leader doesn't know it he cannot reveal it under the crutiacus curse.

What could this task be? Well I am reckoning that and DE who kills Dumbledore would effectively become Voldemort's most trusted DE and right hand man. Giving him a unique opportunity to help Harry finish Voldermort in the climax. How else could Dumbledore ensure that one of his men would be that close when the chips are down?

Another possibility is that Dumbledore did in fact tell someone of the plan, and some other crucial information regarding possibly Snape and other things. If so I am guessing that Aberforth would be the one. I will be very interested to see if there will be a chapter entitled "In the Hogs Head" or something in book 7.

Conclusion

I have to say that as things stand the evidence looks pretty conclusive that Snape is either a bad guy or at the very least not on the side of good fully. I think it is inevitable that there will be another Snape related twist. However I don’t think that this is going to be conclusive just enough to once again cast doubt as to who’s side Snape really is on.

Harry I think is going to have to face decision time in the face of new evidence. Does he go with his gut, or does he trust Dumbledore one last time. I have to say things don’t look great for Snape if Harry is in a position to AK him any time soon. Although I am sure Jo won’t choose to go there.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A4487718

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more