Mancunian Blues

0 Conversations

On the Road Again...

Hello,

Long time, no type.

So what’s happened in my life? Well, some momentous events, some good, some bad.

The main one is finding out that people are actually interested in what I write. A couple of months ago, one of my work mates sent me an email that my boss sent, telling people to look at my H2G2 Personal Space. I wasn’t really too bothered about pointing out the space, it was the not telling me.

At this point, I should have realised that people were actually interested in reading my stuff. However it came as a huge surprise when I got suspended and then sacked for things I had written on a journal site about a colleague. Given that I had told nobody about it, and the only reason I had written it was because the company had failed to act when he was bulling me, I am fairly annoyed.

So, ladies and gentlemen, freedom of speech does not go past the doors of Thomson Corporation.

Anyway, onto good things.

I got a ticket to see Brian Wilson in Liverpool. I’ve seen his Pet Sounds Tour (twice) and his Smile Tour. Now he was doing a greatest hits tour. It was probably the most enjoyable set I’ve seen him play, and was worth the trek across to Merseyside. Liverpool always amuses me, I like all the grand buildings, but it is also the little things. No other city I have seen has signs on escalators pointing to alternative route if broken. It was pointing to the set of stairs next to the escalator!

After the concert, I ended up in a hotel bar with a load of hard core Beach Boys fans for a singalong. Which improved when Probyn Gregory of Brian Wilson’s band appeared to join in. A good time was had by all.

Other gigs attended included Dead Men Win Fights, Box of Delights (both at Late Rooms), and Midland Railway at Academy 3.

The later one proved that if you beg enough people, a local band can actually drag 50 people down. Four bands, each told to bring a minimum of 50 people at 4 or 5 quid a shot. It’s a good way for a promoter to cash in. Though the sight of your name on the outside of Manchester Students' Union is worth a lot of the effort.

I suppose I'd better add a plug. After a year away, the return of Hetrocamp Pop Punk band Frank Is Dead is pencilled in for Wednesday, 10 August at the Night and Day Café on Oxford Road, Manchestershire. Please come along.

Till the next time,

Love, peace and blues

tjm

Mancunian Blues Archive

The_Jon_M

21.07.05 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A4474280

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more