A Conversation for Health Advice for Travellers

More advice to consider?

Post 1

LL Waz

Water purification tablets aren't always enough. For amoebas and hepatitis virus you need 2% tincture of iodine.

Mosquito nets come in a variety of shapes. The bigger the top of the net the less likely you are to get any of your skin close enough to the net to get bitten. Nets hung from a large square frame are ideal (if cumbersome).

Flies need to be kept off food. Seems obvious but not everyone does it!

Some people advise that you should take a supply of sterile syringes with you to countries where they might be in short supply.

Bilharzia, common in Africa, hasn't been mentioned. It's very unpleasant and all you need to do to avoid it is to avoid touching water, rivers, lakes etc. unless they are fast running, cold, ie. in the highlands or salty.
Wz


More advice to consider?

Post 2

Wand'rin star

and waterfalls don't count as running water. Standing under one to have a photo taken may well land you in the hospital for tropical diseases.


More advice to consider?

Post 3

nim the cat (STILL choking in air pollution)

Toiletpaper!

In Islamic countries - that would be ALL of the near and middle east and several countries in south east asia and africa - the sanitary measures are according to the Shari'a clean water. But the water is not clean everywhere and europeans and americans might have difficulties with this anyway. Therefore - bring a large supply of toiletpaper - or get your guide to buy some in the cities. Or take the rolls from the hotel - if they have it...

Medicine: bring enough of your own daily medicine with yourself so that you won't get stuck because you can't find a simple pill or can't buy it without prescription. Some countries (United Arab emirates for exampl) do not allow the import of medicaments. In Iran there is no problem as long as it is a reasonable amount for one person. ASK!

BTW - the bottled mineral water in Iran *is* clean - just make sure it has not been opened. You can buy it in most cities and towns and also in villages near tourist attraction. Ask your guide to get you some.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more