The h2g2 Post Recipe

0 Conversations

Osh - A Persian Herby Soup

My extended family includes a Persian who cooks some of the most mind-meltingly delicious foods ever. She taught me this dish, which for me is a must-have. Because of the lentils, a large serving is enough for a medium sized main course, with bread.

Ingredients (Serves 2)

  • 250g dried haricot beans
  • 5 shallots
  • 5 cloves garlic
  • 2 pints Vegetable stock (preferably home-made, rather than from a cube)
  • One large handful curly-leaf parsley
  • One large handful coriander leaves
  • One small handful tarragon
  • About 1 tbsp fresh mint
  • One small handful chives

Method

  1. Soak the haricot beans overnight in plenty of cold water
  2. Finely chop the shallots and garlic. In a small amount of olive oil, gently fry them over a low heat until softened (about ten minutes)
  3. Add the stock and haricot beans. Bring rapidly to the boil, then turn down to simmer. Add lots of salt and pepper, cover the pan and leave to simmer for 50 minutes.
  4. Finely chop all of the herbs. Add them to the pan and stir gently for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and serve with good crusty bread.

Variations

If you like your soup to be smoother, then you can blitz this is a food processor to reach your preferred texture.

It is possible to use other lentils in place of the haricot beans. Green lentils are especially good in this case, but you will need to adjust the cooking times according to the packet instructions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We would also be happy to feature your own personal favourite recipe
but do remember that you should not submit anything which may be copyright. Send your suggestions or recipes to The Post Team.

The Recipe Archive

Master B

07.07.05 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A4354102

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more