A Conversation for SAS - a History

D-Day

Post 1

Sho - employed again!

I was always under the impression that the code-name for D-Day was operation overlord? Or did the SAS have their own code-name?


D-Day

Post 2

Baldrick

The codename for the overall operation was indeed Operation Overlord. However, I believe it is standard practice to include many sub-operations within the main operation. For example, there were originally three divisions, each to establish a seperate beach-head, named Operation X, Operation Y and Operation Z. Presumably the SAS operation was then Operation C.


D-Day

Post 3

Researcher 113899

Well actually, its a mistake. The Actual Operation I was refering to was Operation Wallace, which the 2 SAS took part in. It was basically a post D-Day jeep ride though Occupied Europe... Sorry... must remember to smack my editor... smiley - smiley


D-Day

Post 4

Phil

The eds are usually quite good if you let them know about mistakes like that - as long as you're polite and don't smack them anyways.


D-Day

Post 5

Researcher 113899

Not even a little Slap? smiley - sadface

awww....


D-Day

Post 6

Phil

If you were (or even are) one of those hooligans from Hereford smiley - winkeye then a little slap could hurt quite a bit.

Just let one of the editors know and they'll come and put it right, they're nice people who work very hard and don't deserve a slap.


D-Day

Post 7

Researcher 113899

I am a little hooligan from Hereford, but I am not one of 'those' hooligans smiley - smiley.

Though I hope to be in the British Army in the future. So hopefully I have put that to rest a romour before its begun. I have taken your advice, and have contacted Lenny.


D-Day

Post 8

Sho - employed again!

Oh no. I used to work with those "little hooligans" (oops, I'm going to have to kill you all now!) and on occasion had to give one or two of them a little slap. They're ok. But never, ever slap (even a teeny one) an editor. They get you with their blue pencil (bitter experience talking) and they have the patience of Job. Just when you think you're safe.... .whoosh! the blue pencil gets you.
You have been warned!


D-Day

Post 9

akasert

Theres no such thing as 2SAS theres 21SAS 22SAS 23SAS but no 2SAS


D-Day

Post 10

Mikeyw

There was in WWII. 1SAS, 2SAS, 3 (french) SAS, 4 (french) SAS, 5 (belgium) SAS company. They were all disbanded after the war.


D-Day

Post 11

Mikeyw

BTW 21 SAS,, the first SAS regiment after the war, is the combination of 2SAS and 1SAS. This was done in honour of their exploits during the war.


D-Day

Post 12

niceihatethis

Do you feel that the SAS training is an tougher of mentally tasking than the SBS training?


D-Day

Post 13

jameslamont

Well you have to pass SAS training to be eligible for SBS training, so infact you have to complete the SAS training and then some.


Distinct Lack of

Post 14

invisibleknight

Named locations in this post.

Stirling Lines or Bradbury Lines (the name seems to vary on when you served there) was the old location of their camp and the new base is in Credenhill, the site of former RAF Hereford.

I know, because I trained at RAF Hereford.


Key: Complain about this post