A Conversation for Forming a Good Quiz Bowl Team

Ah, memories...

Post 1

Hooper_X

Wow. I usedta do this in High School. I kicked serious ass at it too... That's what I got for being a huge geek instead of pursuing a social life... we were state champs two or three times, and I got sent to a couple national-level tourneys, including one at Disneyworld in Florida, which was pretty keen, considering I didn't pay one red cent of the bill.


Ah, memories...

Post 2

Thinker

It's good to hear from other quiz bowl people.
It may sound like i am a coach, judging from the article, but i'm actually just entering High school myself, and I don't think my school has an actual quiz bowl team; only Academic Decathalon. What organization were you part of ? (specificly the one that sent you to Disneyworld.) Perhaps I can convince the administration to get a team for it.

Share and Enjoy!


Ah, memories...

Post 3

Hooper_X

I went to Disney as part of the Panasonic Tournament of Champions team from Georgia, 1996 (?) incarnation. Yeah. '96 sounds right. Regardless, only one team from each state is allowed. In some states, just the team that won overall state was sent, but GA took one player from each division's champion team (myself representing AA Mary Persons HS) and two extras from the host school.

I spent the ENTIRE week trying to get laid. I did not even ENTER a round, as I was an "alternate alternate" meaning that, when everyone else on the team is a hardcore specific in their chosen field, the Jack of All Trades (which I was!) must wait on the sidelines.

HOWEVER, we placed 6th, making me more-or-less the #36 player in the USA for that year....


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more