A Conversation for Tips on How to be Planet Friendly

Solar panels

Post 1

Xanatic(phenomena phreak)

What you said about the solar panels, I didn´t really understand. According to you, it takes more energy to make a solar panel, as it can make in it´s entire life. I just don´t see how the companies that manufacture them can exist. If they have to pay a certain amount of money for the energy they use(plus materials) to make the solar panels, and the ppl who buy them will not even get that much energy out of them(for which they should save the same amount of money), then how come ppl buy them? Unless the ppl buying them are being cheated, there´s money being lost every time they sell a solar panel.


Solar panels

Post 2

Ashley


Yes, it does take more energy to make a solar panel than it will produce in its life. If you want to use solar enrgy then yes, you will pay through the nose for it. However, there are situations where only solar panel will do (satellites etc) which is why they are still manufactured.

Yes, solar energy is clean but cost efficient, no.


Solar panels

Post 3

Xanatic(phenomena phreak)

Hmm, I can understand why it´s used on satelites and stuff, but there´s also loads of them being made for normal households. I know in Denmark you can get money from the government, if you use solar panels, probably that way you can save money. The government just pays instead. But if what you´re saying is true then solar energy isn´t clean. You use a lot of dirty energy, to produce a lower level of clean energy. All in all, that´s only gonna pollute more.


Solar panels

Post 4

friendlywithteeth

There were suggestions of a 'solar sail', for clean space travel, but for those here on Earth solar panels aren't all that green.

The best is probably wind. Did you know that the windiest country in europe is the UK, yet we only use less than ten percent of wind power smiley - grr.
Unless youre in Iceland when the best is geothermic.
FwT


Solar panels

Post 5

Xanatic

Because people will of course want wind power and greener energy and such, as long as the windmill isn't anywhere near them. Then they complain about the noise and general ugliness of them.


Solar panels

Post 6

Xanatic

BTW a solar sail is something different than a solar panel.


Solar panels

Post 7

friendlywithteeth

I know: it's made of crisp packets: but the principal is the same

I don't think that windmills are ugly...


Solar panels

Post 8

Xanatic

Windmills look nice from afar. But I can understand people not wanting one in their backyard.

A solar sail is not the same as a solar panel. A solar sails take sunligt and converts it into electricity. A solar sail work because of the pressure photons exert on it as they bounce off.


Solar panels

Post 9

friendlywithteeth

sorry: was not clear, when I said principal I meant that it's green energy.
Windmills aren't placed in people's backyards, most in the UK [sorry my main point of reference] are in places like National Parks and the like. People don't like it because of the humming noise [NIMBY's!]
FwT


Solar panels

Post 10

Xanatic

I'd still like to know what your source for this is. The idea that solar panels take up more energy making.


Solar panels

Post 11

SuePlusArt

May we recommend that you consult the people at the Centre for Alternative Technology at Machynleath in North Wales.

http://cat.anu.net/information/information.tmpl?subdir=information&cart=3235101581423353

They do know about this stuff.

smiley - cdouble


Solar panels

Post 12

Mina

I've been thinking about writing an entry about solar panels, I can see that it might be well received. smiley - smiley


Solar panels

Post 13

friendlywithteeth

Xanatic: The whole energy is thing is in the creation of the solar panel: it takes an average of three attempts to get the cells right when creating one panel. This amount of waste etc. makes it not as green as some people think.

Mina/Linda: It would, maybe you could write it on 360o so that we can get more entries on there smiley - smiley


Solar panels

Post 14

Xanatic

Even if they aren't all that green, I did still think you'd be able to get more energy out than you put in.

I'm going to follow that link in a bit and see.


Solar panels

Post 15

friendlywithteeth

as will i....


Solar panels

Post 16

Felonious Monk - h2g2s very own Bogeyman

I could probably help with the solar panel stuff if you like: I did a lot of research into photoconductors in my earlier years, and I know how these things work (having made some spectacularly inefficient ones myself).


Solar panels

Post 17

Mina

I've got some stuff I gathered together in the early 90s, When I get some time in the next few days I'll set about updating the info I have. smiley - smiley Thank Felonious, I'm sure you'll be a great help!


Key: Complain about this post