A Conversation for Flanders and Swann - Musicians

....in Wales. I know it's in Wales, I've been abroad.

Post 1

Classic Krissy

The Armadillo Song always makes me sad.

I'm an American girl that grew up on F&S. My dad had all the original recordings and I remember laughing myself stupid listening to Kokoraki when I was six. I could talk and sing along with all the albums by the time I was five, but the thing I have enjoyed the most about Flanders & Swann over the years is suddenly coming to realize what some of the political, social, environmental references were.

When I was small the animal songs were just animal songs, but I didn't really understand the idea behind the honeysuckle song until I was in my early teens and I didn't understand the specific reference until much later. I'm still "getting" nuances of their lyrics that I had never before understood.

I absolutely adore Flanders & Swann. I have the 3 CDs (my dad is guarding his orignal LPs tooth and nail) and the BBC video. I'm so glad someone has written an article on them. smiley - smiley Thank you! smiley - smiley


....in Wales. I know it's in Wales, I've been abroad.

Post 2

BuskingBob

I have been known to sing the Armadillo song at parties! A friend of mine had learnt the piano bit, so it was a reasonably good party piece to do; the piano bit is quite tricky, but really makes the song.

I beleive they had written the song for a cricketting friend of theirs who was going on tour; in the event the guy never got round to performing the song that had been written for him.


....in Wales. I know it's in Wales, I've been abroad.

Post 3

Researcher 159112

My Gran always used to play 'The Hippopotamus' to me when I was very little. Then I discovered that they wrote a lot of other songs too, and I've loved them ever since!


....in Wales. I know it's in Wales, I've been abroad.

Post 4

Lillith

I first heard F & S on our quirky public radio morning show on MN Public Radio ( called, oddly enough, The Morning Show) and have loved them ever since. My husband and I have been known to break out into the "hippotomus" and "in the bath" songs without warning. I have not heard the Armadillo song... where could I find it?
Lillith


....in Wales. I know it's in Wales, I've been abroad.

Post 5

Classic Krissy

It's on The Beastiary. That's a record that they did of all their animal songs. I know that you can sometimes find old albums of theirs in consignment shops, or there is a 3 CD box set that I have (it was a gift, I don't know whether it's the BBC or PBS that has it) that includes The Beastiary.


....in Wales. I know it's in Wales, I've been abroad.

Post 6

Researcher 159112

The box set's EMI, btw.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more