A Conversation for Final Fantasy 7 - the Computer Game

Environmentalism and anti-globalisation

Post 1

maduin

I'm shocked by the lack of attention given to the important anti-corporate implications of the FF7 storyline. When I was playing, I saw the position and aims of the Shinra Corporation as a direct metaphor for globalised companies, and their power as a metaphor for the oil industry's influence in America. Some of the history seemed to me to support this, such as the mentions of a great war where Shinra helped fight an evil empire (eg. corporations being the backbone to maintaining the west's struggles against the USSR). The game explicitly shows how the greed of corporations is seriously damaging the world. As such it's actually extremely important as a symbol of cultural dissent to globalisation, especially given the influence it must have had on many young people.


Key: Complain about this post

Environmentalism and anti-globalisation

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more