A Conversation for Ailurophilia Gone Bad: A New Mental Illness?

Not necessarily a new mental illness

Post 1

Deidzoeb

Here's an excerpt from PETA website (the org, not the h2g2 staffer):

http://www.peta.org/mc/factsheet_display.asp?ID=27

One of the theories about 'Hoarders' is that they suffer from
'obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) or obsessive-compulsive personality disorder (OCPD). The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV) characterizes the hoarding of inanimate objects as a symptom of both OCD and OCPD.(16) One study found that more than 77 percent of hoarders’ premises were described as “heavily cluttered” and that an “extensive accumulation” of non-animal-related objects—such as newspapers—was present in nearly 75 percent of the cases.(17)'

I think that would explain why some or most of these people would be legally competent, able to hold down jobs and mostly able to function in society. Just a neurosis that causes one aspect of their lives to go way out of control.

The page also mentions that some hoarders reportedly suffer from dementia.


Key: Complain about this post

Not necessarily a new mental illness

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more