The h2g2 Post Recipe

1 Conversation

Bulghur Wheat Salad

This salad, with a Middle Eastern flavour to it, is a lovely accompaniment to a meat dish, or a light snack for summer evenings. It's important to get the timings right in this dish, so it is served just warm, not hot or freezing cold.

Ingredients (Serves 2 as a main dish, 4 as a starter/accompaniment)

  • 200g - 8oz, 1 cup - Bulghur wheat
  • One punnet cherry tomatoes, or ideally baby plum tomatoes
  • Half a cucumber
  • 4 rashers unsmoked back bacon (optional)
  • One shallot
  • One large clove garlic
  • 2tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 3tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • Large handful each of mint and coriander leaves.

What To Do

  1. Put a saucepan of water on to boil and, meantime, prepare the dressing. Finely chop the shallot and garlic and mix them with the balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Set aside until required.
  2. Add the bulghur wheat to the pan and leave to simmer for 10 minutes. While it is cooking, halve the tomatoes; slice the cucumber and cut each slice into four quarters; and finely chop the mint and coriander. Add the tomatoes, cucumber and herbs to a large salad bowl.
  3. When the bulghur wheat is cooked, drain it and set aside to let it cool. If you are using the bacon, fry it until crispy
  4. Slice the bacon into strips and add them, along with the bulghur wheat and dressing. Mix thoroughly and serve immediately.

Variations

This is a pretty versatile recipe. You could add some diced sausage, or spicy sausage instead of the bacon. Add feta or mozzarella cheese for different flavours or perhaps some finely diced green pepper.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


We would also be happy to feature your own personal favourite recipe but do remember that you should not submit anything which may be copyright. Send your suggestions or recipes to Shazz.

The Recipe Archive

Master B

05.05.05 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A4004641

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more