A Conversation for Driving on Autobahns in Germany

Original (pre-submission) version

Post 1

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

This is what is left over after submission and editing the entry on German Autobahns -- the full version, but somewhat biased, sarcastic, and ironical, is A344251. Which may be the reason for cutting out a whole section.


Original (pre-submission) version

Post 2

PostMuse

Bossel...I haven't been to the original yet, but had to leave a comment here in case I get sidetracked (a common occurrence for me on h2g2) and don't get back here. I love this article, especially the part about using Danish drivers as compasses. Whatever has been cut in the editing, a good deal of humor is left intact. I would love to write an article just to link this one. Great entry.

Zmrzlina


Original (pre-submission) version

Post 3

Trillian's child


Hi Bossel

I find the article very good and necessary. The bit about using Dutch and Danish drivers is rather out of place though, because the main part is serious and this little section is out of style. Someone might want to take it seriously. Presumably the bits crossed out fitted more with this style. Why didn't I see this article before it was made official? Actually I thought the subject of driving in Germany was very well covered already - will have another look at that.

Anyway, congrats on a good, well-constructed article. I had thought of doing one on German road signs - i.e. explaining what such expressions as Umleitung and Einbahnstraße mean - as people seriously have tried finding these on maps. And Wildwechsel, etc., etc., and loads of others.


Original (pre-submission) version

Post 4

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

thanks for all the compliments!
Maybe the bit about danish drivers has gone unnoticed by the editors. But, as a matter of fact, this idea got me back on track one time, when I was lost somewhere near Frankfurt and wanted to go north. Then I saw a yellow (dutch) number plate and reckoned that the chances were 3:1 that this driver would be heading home, since it was a thursday, and followed him -- bingo.

Invisibility of this entry has been covered in a separate thread that starts on my homepage. From the day of submission, neither of the search engine or the alphabetic index were able to retrieve the entry.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more