A Conversation for 'Broadway The Hard Way' - the Frank Zappa 1988 Tour

brilliant !

Post 1

several, a/k/a random

thank you. yes, i saw his last show in cleveland, ohio, and was amazed at a beatles' medley the band seemingly assembled onstage, just for the fun of it.
and thank you for the links.
smiley - musicalnote
smiley - vampire


brilliant !

Post 2

Dr Hell

Glad you liked it!

Those links are really nifty, aren't they? If you want more just ask!

I really miss Zappa!

HELL


brilliant !

Post 3

several, a/k/a random

i don't really 'do' that search stuff and music downloads (or much of anything else except reading sports pages from across the U.S. of A and overseas and space.com)and just the fact that zappa had a Guide entry with references blew me away, to tell true.
at one point, i helped host a '2001, a frank odyssey' all-day party on mother's day where A Good Time Was Had By Mostly All, so i am a little familiar with F.Z. music and his legacy as a composer, innovator and player.
smiley - musicalnote
smiley - vampire


brilliant !

Post 4

Dr Hell

No, no...I didn't mean downloads. (I don't do that kind of stuff) I meant more like transcriptions of interviews with the man and stuff...

Music is the best!

HELL


brilliant !

Post 5

several, a/k/a random

thanks for the offer. i don't know much about Guide entries, and just appreciate the work you put into it.
smiley - musicalnote


brilliant !

Post 6

Dr Hell

Was that a 'yes' or a 'no'?

smiley - tongueout

HELL


brilliant !

Post 7

several, a/k/a random

well, no, i don't need zappa links----i was just impressed by the Entry itself, glad to see F.Z. mentioned in the Guide.
smiley - musicalnote


brilliant !

Post 8

compo

Nice article.With the album The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life,at least there's no overdubs on the recordings and the liner notes let you know which shows they were taken from.

My particular favourite Zappa albums are Apostrophe' - a gift from my late sister and brother-in-law the best part of 30 years ago - Sheik Yerbouti and Tinleltown Rebellion.And that's not decrying any of his other albums,many of which I have copies of.


brilliant !

Post 9

several, a/k/a random

sheeze, i must be starting to get old, or something.
'weasels ripped my flesh' has 'my guitar wants to kill your mama' but each album had special moments when the wit and musicianship just flowed......and yes, i have a hat that reads 'joe's garage.'
smiley - musicalnote


brilliant !

Post 10

Dan Morgan

I so enjoyed that article. I am a huge Zappa fan smiley - smiley I think my all time favourite cds are Thing-Fish and Joe's Garage. and I never get tired of Zappa. I have the Beatles covers - fantastic - and also have you heard his version of Ravel's Bolero?

Thank you for writing it!


brilliant !

Post 11

Dr Hell

Thanks! "Music is the best", right?

I heard his version of Boléro - I think on the Web-Radio of Zappa.com. however, in limited internet quality.

Do you know if the "Roxy and Elsewhere DVD" is out there yet?

HELL


brilliant !

Post 12

Dan Morgan

Hi! As far as I know there are only 4 FvZ dvds available Baby Snakes, Does Humor belong in Music (both of which I have) Quaudrophillia and Halloween. If there were any plans to release it I guess it would say on the official Zappa site. The Bolero & Beatles covers I have is from the Oslo Concert.

I find FvZ has the wonderful ability of cheering me up!


brilliant !

Post 13

Dr Hell

FZ has music for all moments, tho'. Take 'Managua', 'Black Napkins' and 'Zoot Allures' for example. Or 'Filthy Habits' that's music to dream to!

Some people only see the comedy bits in FZ's music.

Another thing I noticed is that people either love it or hate Zappa's music, there's few FZ material for the in-between.

HELL smiley - winkeye

(Listeing to "Zoot Allures" right now)

BTW: There's this Colin... whatshisname, who conducted the (German) NDR Big-Band and recorded kinda big-band-ish Zappa stuff with them. It sounds definetly different from Zappa, less crude, more sophisticated - I am not sure if FZ woul've liked it - but I think they've done a great job interpreting Zappa.


brilliant !

Post 14

Dan Morgan

You are right - there is no middle ground with FvZ - like him or loathe him is true.

I haven't heard the Colin Towns and the NDR, I must try and see if there are any soundbites on the Net. The only non-Zappa Zappa I have is Ensemble Modern 'Gregory Peccary' and Pierre Boulez conducting The Perfect Stranger.

Don't know if you are in Europe but did you know that Dweezil and Ahmet are doing a tour playing (naturally) FvZ? Don't know the line up of musicians. Starts in October.

Anastasia smiley - smiley


brilliant !

Post 15

Dr Hell

Ah yesss... Towns. Nice stuff. Did they play the Zappanale? (I think so)

Dewwzil and Ahmet: I am taking note... Are they coming to Europe? (I hope they stop by in Munich) Dweezil and Ahmet are genetically as close as you can get to the original smiley - winkeye I heard Dweezil is an excellent guitar player. Never actually listened to his own stuff tho'. You?

HELL


brilliant !

Post 16

compo

With reference to different interpretations if Franks' music,a few uears ago, Moggio was performed at the London Promenade Concerts at the Royal Albert Hall.Can't remember who the conductor was but I seem to remember it was a fine interpretation.Just wished I'd taped it off the radio to include in my collection of Zappa material.


brilliant !

Post 17

Dan Morgan

Hi Hell,

I have looked at the tour schedule and they will be playing Berlin and Dusseldorf. I'm not sure if I can post the link with all the European cities? If you google dweezle and ahmet zappa european tour you'll get it smiley - smiley Having looked at some more info it would appear Eddie and Flo will be there also!


brilliant !

Post 18

Dr Hell

Cool thanks... Maybe Berlin will be good for me. You're still online? What part of the world are you?

HELL


brilliant !

Post 19

Dan Morgan

Hi, the Berlin gig is Thursday November 17, 2005 - Arena Treptow. I am from the UK but nowhere they are playing is really accessible for me smiley - sadface I did hear a Dweezle album, but a very long time ago. I think it would be great to go to it - if you do you must write a review smiley - smiley

AS


brilliant !

Post 20

Dr Hell

If I go I will definetly write a review!

smiley - winkeye H


Key: Complain about this post