A Conversation for The Legend and History of the Song 'Danny Boy'

I loved this

Post 1

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Thank you for sharing the story of Rory Dall O'Cahan. How smiley - magic!

The song really does bring you close to tears, doesn't it?

A fascinating account.smiley - biggrin


I loved this

Post 2

hammondorgan

Danny Boy is full of ambiguities which made it a sensitive song in the more troubled times of the recent past. The Londonderry Air is how it it was referred to, certainly in the South in the 1970's. I remember being there on a rugby tour and it was a song we used to sing regularly. As a visiting English team, eyebrows were raised when we sang it, we of course should have been a lot more sensitive to feelings at that time. I also recall that there was a line in it which goes something like, 'You will find the place where I am lying, and say an Ave there for me'. I presume that this is an obvious reference to Catholic ceremony, I wonder if this was uncomfortable for the other side of the divide at that time, or perhaps there were different versions. Anyway, it remains a wonderfully mysterious song which will bear continuing reevaluation through the years.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more