A Conversation for Sergei Prokofiev

Prokoviev

Post 1

Ellis Ian Fields

Do you really think he's neglected? I'd say he's better known that his teacher if orchestration Nikolay Rimsky-Korsakov.

Rimsky is chiefly known for three works - Scheherezade, Capriccio Espagnol and the Russian Easter Festival Overture (how many of you know the latter two - honestly?) and the Flight of the Bumblebee from the Tale of Tsar Sultan - one of his numerous operas.

He and his chums - "The Mighty Handful" - wrote the book on Russian natioanlist music and are extremely neglected. Sue we know Pictures at and Exhbition and Night on the Bare Mountain (Mussorgsky) Prince Igor (Borodin) but what about Balakirev and Cui? Marvellous stuff.


Prokoviev

Post 2

flyingtwinkle

hi elis music lovers do not really know of him or they would never allow him to go un noticed


Prokoviev

Post 3

J'au-æmne

The "most neglected" thing refered to a period of time between July and November 2000 when this article was almost constantly on the front page of h2g2 in the "5 most neglected entries" section, due to a bug. It doesn't really reflect whether he's neglected as a composer...


Prokoviev

Post 4

Smij - Formerly Jimster

And just in case you're looking for it, we scrapped the 'Most Neglected' section about two years ago because we felt it was unfair on the entries that ended up there about a week after they'de been in the 'most recent' entry section.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more