A Conversation for Lunar Phases

Lunar Phases help

Post 1

Jimi X

If you'd like to contribute to this entry on Lunar Phases, please leave me a message below.

Thanks! smiley - smiley

- X


Lunar Phases help

Post 2

Crescent

Some trivia - the nights leading to a full moon, when there is just a sliver off, it is called Gibbous smiley - smiley You probably knew that, but wth smiley - smiley Until later...
BCNU - Crescent


Lunar Phases help

Post 3

Jimi X

Yeah, I knew that. I haven't gotten started on this bit yet. So for your contribution, I believe a Researcher credit is in order. smiley - smiley

I think gibbous is Latin. I'm planning to get going on this one at the weekend. I'll let you know when I update!

- Jim


Lunar Phases help

Post 4

Jimi X

The update is complete!! And I've given you credit for the gibbous bit.


Lunar Phases help

Post 5

Crescent

Thank you kindly, Jimi X smiley - smiley Made my day smiley - smiley
BCNU - Crescent


Lunar Phases help

Post 6

Deek

More trivia... 'Blue moon', which is I believe when a second full moon occurs in any one calendar month.
All the best A.M.smiley - bigeyes


Lunar Phases help

Post 7

Jimi X

*smacks head*

How could I forget that?

Thanks AM!

- X


Lunar Phases help

Post 8

Jimi X

I've also added in the bits about Harvest Moon, Hunters Moon and Strawberry Moon.

Does anybody know any other names for the full moon?

- X


Lunar Phases help

Post 9

The Cow

I believe each of the 13 full moons of the year has it's own specific title, of which Harvest, Hunters and Winters are three.

I think.

Also:

"The hornèd Moon, with one bright star
Within the nether tip. "

is impossible. 'The hornèd moon' is, of course, cresent.
But don't be too harsh on the man... some say it's a sign of everything being completely wacko at that time.

(from the Ryhme of the Ancient Mariner) (not sure of the spelling of Rhyme, but it's prob. not the usual)


Lunar Phases help

Post 10

Researcher 241931

Can anybody tell me the path of the moon around the earth ie around the equator or the poles or what?


Lunar Phases help

Post 11

Deek

Hi theresmiley - smiley
Well, a simplistic answer is that the Moon traverses almost the same path as the Sun 'appears' to take in the sky (the ecliptic). However, the moon's orbital plane is just over 5 degrees different to that of the ecliptic, so for half of its orbit around the Earth it is above the ecliptic and the other half it is below.
It's because of this difference that there isn't a solar eclipse each month. Solar eclipses only occur when the moon is actually passing through the ecliptic (at a 'Node') at exactly the same time that the Earth, Moon and Sun are all in alignment.
The Moon's direction of travel is actually from west to east and from Earth it can be seen to move eastwards by about 13 degrees per day when measured against a starry background. It's the earth's faster rotation that makes it appear to follow the Sun from east to west each day.
Hope this helps, All the best
A.M. smiley - moon


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more