H2G2 Researcher ID Card

6 Conversations

This is a proposal to the Powers That Be at h2g2 for the development and distribution of an h2g2 Researcher ID Card, for the protection of researchers, assistance in gathering data, and promoting the Guide planetwide1.

Rationale

Researchers are put in difficult positions every day. Let's say you're planning on writing an entry about a particularly interesting Turnip Festival. You go to the Festival, pay your entrance fee, and are swallowed up by the huge crowds. As much as you appreciate experiencing the Turnip Festival as a spectator, you may not even be allowed to go near the Winning Turnip, thereby depriving the Guide of important data in an entry. If you attempt to force your way to the front to gather this data, you could be in danger of physical abuse and humilition from the Turnip Security Force.

On the other hand, if you had an h2g2 identification card, you could simply present your credentials to the Head Turnip Organizer and get one of the following responses:

  1. "Yes, immediately, Oh Learned One, please enter."
  2. "What? Are you nuts? Get out of here!"
  3. "Hitchhiker's Guide? That's funny! Oh, what the heck, go ahead."

As an additional benefit, those few individuals left who are unaware of the Guide would be encouraged to ask, "How do I visit this wonderful source of Important Information?" and they would see the location on your card.

What it might look like



Of course, it might not look like this at all.

How it could be distributed

Perhaps it could be made available through the
DNA shop where researchers could order their card for a nominal fee to cover the costs of card construction, postage, handling, kickbacks, and intergalactic cruises.

How it could be made

Like a credit card, with embossed lettering, would be really cool, although laminated card stock would also work.


There are a number of companies out there that do this kind of card, and it is also possible to get a 'credit card' printer that attaches to a normal PC that will print in color (and emboss) on credit card stock. This might be the easiest way to have personalised cards like this.

Limitations

Since the card would be primarily a novelty (like the T-Shirts), researchers would not be able to use it for personal gain, such as promising a good review in exchange for forgetting a bar tab2.

1Well mostly it would be a fun bit of plastic to show your friends, but there's nothing wrong with having lofty ideals.2Unless it's really necessary and the bartender's particularly gullible.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A338591

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more