A 45 Words Special: 100 Entries

1 Conversation

As The h2g2 Post celebrates its fifth birthday and the Guide knotches up over 5½, let us remember its aim; to create an earth-based, volunteer-driven encyclopaedia of life, the universe and everything. Last Friday there were 6710 of these entries edited and on the Guide, but also there was a guest editor for the front page for only the fourth time in the Guides' history. To edit the front page you have to achieve the milestone of being the sole writer of 100 entries for this esteemed publication. So what does it take to write 100 entries? A few years back it was reckoned that the average registered researcher had averaged 45 words of the edited guide so these colossuses have managed a whole lot more.

Place of Origin

There most be something about the Emerald Isle as both Demon Drawer and Gnomon hail from the land of Saints and poets. However, Jimi X is our only truly land-locked ton-up researcher as Bluebottle is from the Isle of Wight lest we forget.

DD has recently been acused of being the first Scot to reach 100 entries. It is true that he now lives there and, indeed, has done for the majority of his 5 years on h2g2. However, he would say he is still a Northern Irish researcher despite being a founding member of the Scottish Researchers' Group. So where are the Welsh, Dutch, Australians? We await other nations adding a 100+ researcher.

Name

My name is not important -
Slartibartfast

OK for one time only I'm going to expose all. Actually, all four have, at various times on hootoo, revealed their real name so this isn't really breaking news, but you have to dig a little to find them:

  • Jimi X - James Gruver1
    Hazen
  • Demon Drawer - Stephen Glenn
  • Bluebottle - Matthew Lloyd Sprack
  • Gnomon - Eoin McAuley


This sample is too small for any significant statistical purposes.
However 100% of the 100+ article writers have an 'e' in their first name. Make of that what you will!

Area of Expertise

For starters all four of the researchers have written articles about the areas they are from and two - Jimi X and Bluebottle - have compiled almost exclusively, very comprehensive guides to Pennsylvania and the Isle of Wight. Gnomon has written a number of articles on music, DD has written a fair number of historical entries. However, here are some of the more diverse ones for your amusement.

Trotter's Curse by Jimi X. One of his more obscure entries on Penn, State and one I didn't realise initially was one of his.

An Exotic Tour with Ian Dury and his 'Rhythm
Stick'
by Demon Drawer takes you from the deserts of Sudan to over hills and far away as mentioned in the song.

The Isle of Wight Space Programme by
Bluebottle sadly overshadowed by the cold war space race between NASA and the Soviet Union.

How Power Stations Work by Gnomon - an educational guide.

... and Finally

Who will be next? As of now we do not know. All of the above have been on hootoo for over 4 years now so that works out at between 20-25 edited entries per year by all of them. So this shows stamina and consistency from all concerned. However, it doesn't stop the ideas flowing. All have articles in progress to attempt to increase the guide. Each is still working away at telling you more about life, the universe and everything.

The Demon Drawer Archive

Demon Drawer

02.12.04 Front Page

Back Issue Page

Birthday banner by Jimster
1Hence the X see A230482

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A3353320

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more