A Conversation for Hawarden, North Wales

Ha-War-Den

Post 1

Huw B

Strange - no mention of how the town name is pronounced. Surely it can't be that HARD to do!


Ha-War-Den

Post 2

Ally

Yes that is how you pronouce it. One thing that could also be noted is the fact that Hawarden is a Welsh Village. Therefore it has a Welsh name as well: Penalarg.

Whichever way you want to write the name one thing is certain. Hawarden is a village, not a town! smiley - smiley


Ha-War-Den

Post 3

Huw B

The Welsh name of the VILLAGE (ooops!) is actually spelt Penarlâg, I believe.

But to make the pronounciation of the English name explicit to non-locals I believe it is said exactly like the English word HARDEN. That is, the W is silent. Am I right?


Ha-War-Den

Post 4

Tom W

Yes, the English name for the village Hawarden is pronounced like the English word Harden.


Ha-War-Den

Post 5

BlueVenus

i thought id had to post on here telling you all how to pronounce this little name. Harwarden is a truly beautiful place to live (although i live just outside of it)...you should visit it at least once in your lifetime. It is not a tourist place, but a lived in villiage and you should take in the surrounding culture.


Ha-War-Den

Post 6

waynesb

If I were to come to Hawarden, would I be able to find the farm my ancestor lived on? John Bennion rented a 12-acre farm in the Moor Lane. He left around 1842.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Hawarden, North Wales

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more