A Conversation for Handy Gardening Tips

More Trees Mean Less Mowing

Post 1

Eeyore


If you hate mowing the lawn, plant some trees and shrubs.

Trees are great anyway. They shelter you from the sun and rain; they look good all year round and (if you choose the right species) they’re absolutely amazing when they’re in blossom. They even help clean the air. But the best thing about trees is that they rob the grass below them of the sunlight it needs to grow. It’s late May, and I’ve only mowed my lawn once this year.

Unfortunately trees drop leaves which you have to clear up, so they don’t eliminate work altogether, but:

1. The leaf-dropping season is much shorter than the grass-growing season.

2. At least some of the leaves will blow into nearby gardens, sharing horticultural duties and giving you a topic of conversation for friendly chats with the neighbours.

When selecting trees and shrubs, be careful not to choose ones with long trailing roots that undermine the foundations of nearby buildings, or you’ll have even more to discuss with your neighbours.


More Trees Mean Less Mowing

Post 2

Technoyokel (muse of poetry)

Why not have a wildflower lawn and only mow it once or twice a year? Why clear leaves up- they crunch nicely when you jump in themsmiley - smiley

Besides surely if you like gardening you don't mind the work - if you do mind it get a patio.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more