A Conversation for The 1970s

70's life etc.

Post 1

open to (reasonable) suggestions

I was 19 when the 70's arrived. I had just started in Air Traffic at Edinburgh Airport (Where I worked for a year). What a wonderful time for anyone in the aviation industry or with an interest in aviation.
Man had just stood upon the Moon. Concorde had started commercial flight. B747s had been in airline service for a year or so.
Everything was as big as or indeed larger than life.
What do I remember from that time? My net salary was in the order of £60 pcm. Beer at 3/6d per pint. Rent £4.2.6 per week (Real stirling with pounds shillings and pence) I do remember doing a calculation as to my balance at the end of the month. I would be £5 in the red. Plus ca change.
When I lived in a flat in Hounslow (having transfered to Heathrow in December 1970) my flat mates and I bought the best Hi-FI system that we could afford by buying one piece each and putting it all together. I bought the reel-to-reel tape recorder (a Sony TC366). I am listening to Don McLean 'Tapestry' on the same equipment as I write.


70's life etc.

Post 2

Weatherwax

I was a student in the early 70's and fortunate compared to today's students as my fees were paid by the local authority, and a maintenance grant. I started work as a maths teacher in 1974 (first month's take-home pay £100). I could have picked any school; there was a huge shortage of maths teachers. Jobs in general were easy to get. A different story by the late 70's when unemployment started to rise.

Music: a decade of two halves. Slade, Wizard, Thin Lizzy, Joni Mitchell, Carly Simon, The Humblebums (Billy Connolly and Gerry Rafferty), the JSD Band. University gigs by Pentangle and Pink Floyd. Then the Bay City Rollers and it was downhill from there.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more