A Conversation for English Pubs - A User's Guide

Pubs and Smoking Ban

Post 1

Chewy-Chewy

From 1st July 2007 the government is passing a law banning all smoking in public bars, pubs and clubs.

Hmmmm.. well isn't that taking our freedom of choice away from us.

Surely, pubs and clubs are going to effected by this as people will not bother going to them - whats the harm in 10 pubs in 1 county being allowed to have a smoking room. At the end of the day then it's down to the individuals choice if they choose to enter a smoky atmosphere and passive smoke.

If the government is so set on banning smoking due to the health implications on smokers and non-smokers why don't they just ban the sale of cigarettes and class it as another drug.

Next it will be alcohol .....


Pubs and Smoking Ban

Post 2

Mu Beta

I do sympathise with the smokers. I am a non-smoker myself, but have never objected to socialising with them.

On the flipside, it does mean that the missus and I will be able to go out to the pub together more often, as she loathes smoky atmospheres and refuses to go.

A lot of the gastro-pubs near us (and I mean that in a positive way, as most of them are unpretentious and very nice) have banned smoking for quite a while now.

B


Pubs and Smoking Ban

Post 3

U168592

As a smoker who enjoys having a drink and a cigarette I can symphasise too. But I also often go to the pub with my family and sit in the non-smoking section, and am still able to enjoy the company and the beer without the aid of nicotine.

I honestly believe that people will work around it. They have in Scotland.


Pubs and Smoking Ban

Post 4

Mu Beta

Well, they do have the situation of terminal alcohol addiction in Scotland. smiley - winkeye

B


Pubs and Smoking Ban

Post 5

U168592

Yeah, all those English tourists make it difficult to find elbow room up there smiley - winkeye


Pubs and Smoking Ban

Post 6

negativebert

Looking at the thousands of pubs that have closed since that day in 2007, can anybody really say that this was a good idea?


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more