Nigel's Gardening Hints and Tips

1 Conversation

A country lane in Texas.

Fruit Pruning Time

It is not too late to prune your fruit bushes and trees, if you do them now it will help towards a juicy and tasty crop for 2008.

Most fruit trees and bushes can be pruned now, with the exception of Plums and Cherries, which cannot be pruned in the wintertime because of a disease called 'Silver Leaf': a fungal spore problem entering into the tree via a cut or broken branch, causing the tree to eventually die. It affects more susceptible trees like Plums and Cherries especially when the disease is most active, usually between September and May.

It is best to pick a dry, mild day to do your pruning, avoiding cold frosty days, when it is likely you would do more harm than good.

Apple And Pear Trees

Young apples and pears:

Young apple and pear trees which are less than 12 months in the ground need a different type of pruning to the mature type.

The bush type needs the main leader stems (main stems coming off the main trunk) pruned above 3 or 4 strong side shoots.

The side-shoots that grow off the main leader stems (see above) need to be cut back by about one-third, remembering always to cut above a nice healthy bud. This will ensure a good shape for the future growth.

When the tree has been in the ground for a further 12 months, it is best to reduce the main branches by half, and the side shoots to 4 or 5 nice healthy buds. Also, it would be a good time to remove any unwanted growth which spoils the shape of the tree.

It is always important when making a cut to angle it slightly.

Dwarf Pyramid Young Apples And Pears (Pyramid Shaped)

Young pyramid-trained apples and pears that have been planted into the ground less than 12 months old from purchase, firstly need the main trunk leader tipped, to ensure that it produces more main leader stems (Main leader stems are called 'Laterals' on this type). This will ensure a more even shape.

Prune the laterals to approximately 12.5cm (5inches), remembering to cut above a nice healthy bud.

The following year, prune the laterals as before, but this time prune the side shoots to three buds from the main trunk to ensure continued healthy growth.

Young Cordon and Step-over Apples And Pears (Cordon - Angled for a wall/fence, Step-over - Small dwarf step-over trees)

When planted less than 12 months old, prune the lateral stems (see above) to three or four buds from the main trunk, leaving the main trunk leader untouched.

Espalier Young Apples And Pears (Espalier shaped for growing up a wall/fence)

Again, less than 12 months in the ground, prune the main trunk leader to a nice healthy bud.

After 12 months, tip the main trunk leader and also the laterals to create a good espalier shape.

Established Apple And Pear Trees

There are two types of apple tree, which are either 'spur-bearers' (fruit borne along branches) or 'tip-bearers' (fruit borne on branch tips).

Most pear trees are spur-bearers, pear and apple spur-bearer trees require the lateral sStems to be shortened to four to six buds from the main trunk.

Tip-bearers require the lateral Stems to also be shortened.

Bush And Dwarf Pyramid Shaped Trees

Remove any growth which is congesting the tree, always ensuring there are branches to take over, to fill the gap left.

Tip-prune as described above to help the lateral stems produce a good amount of tidy growth.

Cordons, Espaliers And Stepovers

It is best to prune in accordance to spur-bearers as described above. Also make sure you tip the main leaders to encourage bushy growth.

Pruning Fruit Bushes

Black Currants:


In the first 12 months after planting, black currants will produce some nice strong shoots. Leave these, as they should produce some good fruit the next summer. However, if you find there are some weak or diseased shoots, these can be cut down to 2.5cm (1 inch) above soil level.

With established black currant bushes, they need at least a third of the old wood removed each year, cutting out the branches that have produced poor growth and spoil the shape of the bush.

Red Currants And Gooseberries

:

In the first 12 months of planting, the leader of each branch needs to be cut by half to a healthy bud. It is important to do this so it produces an open-shaped bush on a short, sturdy stem.
Reduce any crossing, crowded branches in the centre to about one bud from the main stem. It is important to carry out this procedure each wintertime for at least the next three years, to ensure a good framework has developed.

Nigel's Gardening Hints and Tips
Archive

youngsuper_Nigel

31.01.08 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A31638477

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more