A Conversation for Dire Straits - the Band

Dobrotastic

Post 1

Oscar

Other cool tracks are Romeo, Tunnel of Love and Espresso Love smiley - smiley
All can be found on the marvellous live album "Alchemy".


Dobrotastic

Post 2

Mustapha

Remember when everyone ooed and aahed over the CGI in the Money for Nothing vid?

Or when Walk of Life became an anthem for every sports show known to man, simply because the vid contained a couple of minutes of sporting bloopers?

The memories...


Dobrotastic

Post 3

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

Don't forget "Gotta Wear Shades," or whatever the title of that one was.

This article doesn't really say anything about them, which is a shame. For instance, in the early days of MTV (which is now a cancer on society, but I digress), their video for Money for Nothing was absolutely ground breaking, being the first entirely computer-generated film... also worth noting is that Sting was the guest voice for that song.


Dobrotastic

Post 4

Jack

Was not "Tunnel of Love" the specific song used by A. Dent as an aphrodisiac? I'm almost ashamed to admit that it's been over two years since I've read the series...


Dobrotastic

Post 5

Insane Endeavour

It didn't actually say which song it was if I remember correctly, but I'd be interested to find out...

>

("#These mist covered mountains are home now for me, but my home is the lowlands, and always will be... etc etc etc smiley - smiley ")


Dobrotastic

Post 6

Mrgrunt (With the Beard of Power!)

Ah, Alchemy...
But I still think that communique is one of the most underatted albums they ever did...

I started listening to Dire Straits after I learned that Mark is such a perfectionist... Kicking your brother out of the band because he isn't good enough is something else... If only Oasis did it... smiley - winkeye


Dobrotastic

Post 7

JD

Heh! Actually, I just posted the answer to this in the other thread about this article ... "Tunnel of Love" is indeed the song that Arthur used to get Fenchurch off the ground (literally!). Though I bet he played the studio version from the Making Movies LP, the Alchemy album is an excellent one to get if you're not a hard-core fan and are thinking about becoming one.


Dobrotastic

Post 8

Researcher 33337

I actually have the unique point of view of being a fairly young dIRE sTRAITS fan (was that right) but I love their stuff. I actually now have all the albums, mostly on CD. Personal favorite, hmm. I actually really loved Love over Gold. Soem personal favorites on that one and of course Alchemy (Got me through a few all nighters) personal favorite songs must be Romeo and Julliet, Telegraph road, Money for nothing, brothers in arms and On every street. But really, why pick some out of so many great songs. I remember in my 1st year of uni annoying a friend by arguing that mark knoffler (probably bad spelling) was probably as good as Hendrix.


Dobrotastic

Post 9

Galen

wow, i always wondered when and why his bro left..... i love lions. and i agree tat comunique is underratted, its an incredible album... one of my favorites, and the first i ever listened to. i would say that they both are incredible, but each in their own styles, and so do not have to be better or less good than eachother.


Dobrotastic

Post 10

niteboy

Sultans of Swing on Alchemy is probably one of the best live tracks ever.


Dobrotastic

Post 11

Mu Beta

I'll agree with that. What a solo!

B


Dobrotastic

Post 12

niteboy

yeah...it just goes on and on...have you seen the video ?


Dobrotastic

Post 13

Mu Beta

I've seen _a_ video with Sultans of Swing live. I don't think it was Alchemy, though. I suspect it was one of the 90's Scandinavia tours. Still fantastic, though.

B


Dobrotastic

Post 14

niteboy

yeah...i think the one you have seen is " On The Night " which is a complilation of live performances from the overseas part of their 90`s tour. Still think the Alchemy one is the best.


Dobrotastic

Post 15

Mu Beta

Hmmm...I've got the CD on On The Night (hence why it's mentioned in the Entry smiley - winkeye), but there's no Sultans on it. The Straits did loads of Scandinavian tours, especially later on.

B


Dobrotastic

Post 16

niteboy

Yeah, your right. I`ve just remembered that it was on a concert that I taped from the tv.
I went three times in one week to the concerts at Earls Court in London and luckily enough they changed the set each time. So, one night they did Telegraph Road, the next Tunnel of Love and on the last Private Investigations. Private Investigations was something else.....


Dobrotastic

Post 17

Researcher 33337

I suppose it wasn't the brothers in arms concert that was presented on teh tube in 1985, only for useless family trivia, it was one of the first things our family ever videoed with our new video recorder. Still one of our oldest surviving tapes.

Actually saw Knopfler Live a couple of years ago, Fantastic. Actually really liking his solo stuff.

Still one of my all time time travel wishes, to see a dire straits concert, probably any time between 83 onwards


Dobrotastic

Post 18

Mu Beta

Ooh yes. I'd have liked to have been at the gig where they recorded Alchemy (1982-ish, I think). By the sounds of the crowd noise on that album, there were only about 200 people there.

B


Key: Complain about this post