Nigel's Gardening Hints and Tips

1 Conversation

A country lane in Texas.

Jobs For January/February

Firstly, Happy New Year to all my readers, I hope 2008 brings good growing weather and good health to you all.

I know it is winter in England and some days are wet, miserable, and cold but the essential garden jobs will not get done by sitting in your comfy armchair by the fire, gazing out of the window (said he who is doing the exact thing!).

The first thing is those real Christmas trees. If you have not already done so, take the cut ones to your local garden centre where they offer a free shredding service, often giving you a coupon for bringing them in. If you get the choice of bringing home some Christmas tree shredding, then do because it makes excellent mulch around your shrubs or makes an ideal path on your allotment. I would recommend composting it first though.

When I worked at the garden centre, we spread all the mulch around the grounds, I often remember the glorious smell a pile of shredding would give off, steaming away in a corner of the woodland area. We often went and put our cold wet hands in the centre of the heap, it was glorious, unblocking our nostrils with the smell as well! However, I would not recommend that you do the same with a pile of manure, it does not have the same effect.

Anyway, that's the cut Christmas trees sorted. Now to the rooted ones which you buy in a pot:

The only suitable Christmas trees which are bought rooted to put into the ground are 'Abies Species'. Do not attempt to plant 'Norway Spruce', as these will grow quick and tall. I have seen this happen many times and seen some over 100ft tall.

Put the tree outside in its pot and leave for about a month so that it will get used to the climate change, ensuring it is placed in a sheltered spot e.g. up against a wall or fence, to make sure it is not blown over in any heavy winds. Gradually move it to an exposed area of the garden to make sure it is fully hardened off before planting.

The best position is nice and sunny with good drainage where it has plenty of space to grow.

Plant when the ground is warm, not frozen or water-logged, preferably in March, the time is subject to the weather conditions.

Dig a hole approximately one foot deep or so deep that the tree, once taken out of its pot, fits into the hole comfortably up to its neck.

Dig some compost and a little grit into the hole, and also the soil taken out.

Place the tree into position, filling round it with the soil taken out, making sure the soil does not cover the tree's collar. Tread round, water well, and watch your tree grow.

It is important to keep approximately one meter round the trunk of the tree clear from weeds and grass. Put fertilizer/mulch round annually, and water in.

Other Jobs That Need Doing

Rake/sweep up any fallen leaves off your grass and place them in the compost bin.

Check your greenhouse heating regularly to make sure that it is working fine and set at the right temperature. I always have mine to come on at 40 F, but it does depend on what you are growing in your greenhouse.

Also check plants for water during any dry spells, especially pots in and outside.

Nigel's Gardening Hints and Tips
Archive

youngsuper_Nigel

17.01.08 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A31064311

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more