A Conversation for Manchester, England, UK

Music

Post 1

Phil

Manchester and music go hand in hand. Be it classical music at the Bridgewater Hall by the Halle or a local student band at the Hop and Grape, it has got both venues and acts.
Birdgewater Hall; this is a modern concert hall with the usual facilities of these places. The music is both clasical and non, with the Halle orchestra and the Manchester Camerata providing the bulk of the concerts, but acts such as Ute Lemper and Peter Green's Splinter Group have also recently played there.
For the non classical music fan Manchester has produced a long string of bands who made it big; The Hollies, The Buzzcocks, Joy Division, New Order, The Smiths, Simply Red, Happy Mondays, James, Inspiral Carpets (from Oldham really), M People, 808 State, The Doves.
To find out where bands are playing, get a copy of City Life, it's the Manchester listings magazine (equivalent to Time Out in London).

I'm sure that there is loads more to say about Manchester and music, but right now I can't think.


Music

Post 2

Zak T Duck

You can get to see a lot of up and coming bands at the Roadhouse on Newton street and also at the Band on the Wall in Northern Quarter. There are also some pretty good clubs in the city, Discotheque Royale and 42nd Street to name but a few.


Music

Post 3

From Distant Shores

The article refers to Manchester as the birthplace of Indie music and then mentions The Smiths, etc. No mention of The Buzzcocks who I would have thought were around at the time of the start of "The Indies".


Music

Post 4

Pea

Why why why has NOONE mentioned Rockworld in this article? It's as much an important part of Manchester as "Discotheque Royale" is.

Disgruntled of Maidenhead....


Music

Post 5

Mat

Important to remember that a lot of it wouldn't have happened without the vision of Tony Wilson and Factory Records. smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more