A Conversation for The Triumph GT6 Classic Car

Origins of Triumph GT6

Post 1

JohnD2

This article (A307144) suffers from a number of inaccuracies, in particular:

The Le Mans Spitfires in 1964 and 1965 were without exception run with FOUR cylinder engines. Michelotti's fastback design predated the development of the Le Mans cars, became the "Spitfire GT" concept car and the lines were used for the Le Mans cars, but no GT6 ever raced there.
A GT6R project was in progress in 1965, intended to race at Le Mans in '66, but never got beyond the rolling chassis stage.

The GT6 shared it's gearbox and engine with the 2 litre Vitesse, of which half as many were made. Suitable gearboxes are not that rare.
And, Mk3s did total 13,000 - but altogether more than 40,000 GT6s were made.

Spitfire parallels. Spitfire development finally achieved the "swing spring" rear suspension, a brilliantly cheap solution to the problems of the swing axle design, The last 5000 GT6 MkIIIs had swing springs too, in place of the expensive and heavy Rotaflex design shared with the later Vitesses.


Origins of Triumph GT6

Post 2

GT6Driver

Plus of course the car was available from 1966 in the USA and 1967 in the UK.
What exactly was the 'new tooling' referred to?
The car was revised after the first 5000 but not substantially until 1968 with the Mk2.


Origins of Triumph GT6

Post 3

nandokhat

I have recently found an abandonned Trimph GT6 that I would like to acqiure. However I am concerned as to the availability of spare parts and the amount of restoration neede to bring it back to it's glory. One Quick Question:

What car(s) would one recommend as a 'sister' car / a vehicle whose parts can be used as replacement parts for the Triumph.

Kindly note that I live and work in Nairobi - Kenya, East Africa. I look forward to hearing whatver suggestions one would like to offer.


Origins of Triumph GT6

Post 4

Emmily ~ Roses are red, Peas are green, My face is a laugh, But yours is a scream

Hi nandokhat smiley - smiley

You may find it easier to get an answer to your question at <./>Askh2g2</.>

The author of the Entry hasn't subscribed to this page, so he's not getting the posts on his Personal Space. smiley - oksmiley - smiley

Emmily
smiley - bluebutterfly


Origins of Triumph GT6

Post 5

Is mise Duncan

There's a company called Rimmer Bros that do lots of new parts and another called SpitBitz that usually have a lot of parts from GT6s being broken...


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more